Viking Star Cruise Review

Cruise to Cuba aboard the Viking Star

Viking Star Cruise Review by skdemello

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: Cuba

I am not typically a cruiser, but chose this cruise because it was going to Cuba and only Cuba. Other cruise lines would stop in Cuba, but would go to other destinations.

We were supposed to dock in Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba, but due to weather we could only dock in Cienfuegos so we received an extra day at sea (Viking did provide me with a small credit for missing part of the itinerary which I thought was a nice gesture). Cuba was fantastic, but wished they spent a little more time there. The excursions we did were very informative and enjoyable.

As for Viking, I have to say I was very impressed. First of all, the room itself is quite comfortable. Each room has its own private balcony which was very nice, particularly in the evenings when you could sit outside and just relax. The bathroom is one of the best bathrooms that I have had on land or sea - heated floor, roomy shower, non fogging mirrors. The room also had plenty of dedicated USB charging stations, a mini bar, safe and coffee maker. You could also get 24 hour room service if you wanted. Lastly, there is complimentary self service laundry if need to clean some cloths.

The service from the crew was excellent and never felt like they were trying to sell you anything. The crew, as is typical I think on most cruises, from all over the world and they were all pleasant, friendly and helpful. They were truly enjoyable to be around.

The various dining options are varied and all delicious. There is a buffet, that offers a wide variety of options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You have various other other smaller options throughout the ship, including a burger bar near the pool, that serves to order burgers and other sandwiches, a small cafe in the front of the ship that gives you a variety of options and you can enjoy high tea each afternoon, a dizzying array of teas to choose from and accompanied by small finger sandwiches and deserts.

The primary dining consists of the main dining area and two other restaurants, a dedicated Italian Restaurant and a Chef's Table restaurant. While the last two need reservations because of their limited seating, the main dining area does not. You can dine at anytime, there is no assigned seating and you can sit with a group or by your self. The menu has two parts; a fixed menu that does not change that gives you all the basics (steak, chicken, fish, etc., appetizers and deserts) and a second menu that changes daily that is usually themed. You can mix and match from the two menus and you will not be disappointed. We typically ate in the main dining area, but did eat once in the Italian Restaurant and it was equally delicious. Beer and wine is included with each meal, but you have other options as well. Overall, the food was outstanding!

The ship also had very pleasing entertainment. There was classical guitarist, violinist and cellist and a piano player who played throughout the ship and throughout the day. They were all great. There was also other entertainers and we caught one other show, which was an Abba themed musical that was also enjoyable.

Lastly, there are no children under 18, no casino and no photographers looking to take your picture all the time.

I have to say that Viking was fantastic and I fear that I am now spoiled about what I will expect on a cruise. I had such a great time on the Viking Star that my wife and I booked a cruise, the Viking West Indies Explorer, for our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and we are really looking forward to it.

I cannot recommend Viking enough. They are certainly more expensive than other cruise lines, but you get what you pay for. If you are looking for excellent food, excellent accommodations, a relaxing atmosphere and a great crew, then Viking is for you.

skdemello's Full Rating Summary