3. Pride of America
We were so excited initially to take this cruise. Unfortunately, our itinerary changed and we were unable to get to Maui Days 1&2. Day 1 became a Sea Day - which would normally be great on a newer ship with a ton of amenities - but this ship was extremely outdated and older inside and had limited things to do on deck. December is apparently a great time to surf because of the swells, but we didn't realize what the impact would be on our ship. We ended up tipping while trying to get into port! I never felt a ship roll like that before. We knew this ship was older upon booking, but we didn't mind since we were supposed to be in a port every day, but this was a bit scary. Our captain (RON!) luckily made the most of it and kept us informed, and we were able to change course for Day 2. I would not recommend going on this cruise in December, as it's rainy season on the island, and the swells can prevent you from getting into Port. We had an amazing time in each port, as there were unique characteristics of both. I highly recommend getting a quick tour of Hilo (see the waterfalls and mac nut factory), trying Ola Brewery in Kona (they have more than just beer!), and hike in Kaua`i (bring an extra pair of shoes because it is muddy in December!) If you do go on this ship - I highly recommend getting the dinner package. We were very happy with our meals in the specialty restaurants, as each one had their own unique flare. Overall, I would recommend this itinerary for a different time of year for anyone looking to see the Hawaiian Islands in bulk!

Older Ship & Changed Itinerary