3. Norwegian Sun
I know that my title for the review seems bad but it’s a good thing! Look, there’s no beating around the bush. The Norwegian Sun is an older ship- it’s from 2001 so compared to these new mega ships with water parks, ice skating, parks, and even go kart tracks- it’s hard to match up. But this ship is an excellent small to midsize ship. This ship is great if you are 1. A first time cruiser 2. On a budget like me 3. You just like the simple things about cruising. Despite not having the crazy amenities that the newer ships have, this ship still feels like your average cruise with non stop activities, modern and updated lounged and restaurants, and overall great service. Some staff members seemed to care less to be there with the majority was wonderful, patient, and kind. Many of the staff were friendly and took time to socialize with us a bit more than I’m used to which was great- especially the cruise director! He seemed to know most of the guests names including ours. The majority of the crew really do seem to care. Getting on the ship was by far the fastest, most simple process I’ve ever been a part of not just for cruising but for any type of major travel. All in all from the type we got dropped off by our family to the time we stepped foot onto the boat, it took less than 15 minutes maybe even 10. Despite crummy weather in Canaveral on day one, we had a nice time and the drinks were flowing! Quite a mixed crowd but mostly middle aged couples or elderly with some families or young couples here or there. We were definitely one of the youngest couples on the ship (24 and 21 year old males.) but we loved befriending many of our fellow passengers regardless of their age and we felt everyone was nice and up for a good time. The food is overall great! Some dishes were okay while others were outstanding. We did eat at 2 of the speciality dining venues Moderno and Los Lobos. Both were fairly good for the price and I don’t regret spending the extra money especially since service was outstanding at both. The ship feels somewhat small once you’ve gotten the hang of it but I sort of liked this. Perfect for a 4-5 day cruise. I didn’t like the way much of the decks were laid out compared to other ships but Just a small complaint. For example- to get across deck 6 you has to go through Bliss Lounge which took up the entirety of the deck and after certain times it’s adults only club. I feel as though Norwegians decks seem to have odd layouts compared to the competition but nothing that ruins your day lol. This isn’t the most amazing or best ship- but it certainly gets the job done. We had a great time on our budget vacation and got a killer deal with drinks included. I would travel on Norwegian again but maybe next time on a new ship to try something different!

Great cruise on a budget

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Jmoons

Jmoons’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Sailaway Inside
Cabin IX
It’s an interior room so not much to say. It’s going to be very dark when you sleep which sort of disoriented us. You couldn’t tell if it was 4am or 1pm lol but that’s the nature of the room type. Unfortunately this cabin had an unpleasant but not unbearable smell that sort of lingered through our cruise. We didn’t notice it after a minute or two of being back inside but to be direct and frank, it smelled like fart. I would not recommend 7304 on the Sun lol our housekeeper Ming was outstanding and very sweet. She did her very best despite the odd smell but she made up for it.
Deck 4 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Mayan Ruins
    Much cheaper than going through the cruise line- and we chose a reputable and safe company outside of port. Sort of sketchy walking to their office but an awesome tour with great staff and tour guide. Beautiful ruins!
    View All 156 Mayan Ruins Reviews