3. Sea Princess
The itinerary on this cruise was excellent and better than i expected, I enjoyed all the ports. The crew on the ship were excellent too and overall I would say the best crew I have ever come across in over 30 cruises. Our cabin steward was really amazing too. So those points saved the cruise BUT the tired decor and the age of the ship brought it down. The peeling paint on the balcony made it a waste of money to even have a balcony as we couldn't use it. The embarkation process in Brisbane was a disaster and the worst I've ever seen in the world. The area wasn't big enough, not enough room at the counter and they didn't have a card for me to board the ship but the cruise was booked 12 months previously. The Destination Expert seemed to miss relevent information and the talks went on too long with superfluous information. I did visit his desk one day to ask questions but was more or less brushed off without getting any information.

Highs and Lows

Goldy10’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sea Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA
Average cabin with fairly tired looking décor. Balcony was in a terrible state with large flakes of paint peeling off each time we went out there so made is unusable. We were told this was due to the fact that in port with rules they were not allowed to do certain works and when at sea they didn't want to disturb passengers. Then surely this means the ship has to be put in for maintenance? Not good enough Princess, this ship needs to go!
Baja Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Alotau Cultural Festival
    Tour took us from the ship to the Alotau Cultural Festival which was a closed event, nobody could enter if they hadn't booked a tour or paid Princess at the gate. Many dancers and musicians performed and lots of opportunities to take photos of the locals in their national dress. People had come from many different islands. There were stalls too and a good selection of locally made crafts. Everyone was friendly and polite. We were told on the bus that they were not allowed to ask for money to take photos and to report it if they did but nobody did. It was very well run and controlled. There were also war canoes to go out on for a ride, they were $10 and they took Australian currency.
    View All 22 Alotau Cultural Festival Reviews
  • Conflict Islands
    Really lovely well kept islands but not a lot there unless you want boat trips or snorkelling. There were no locals selling their wares which was a shame.
    View All 18 Conflict Islands Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Conflict Islands Cruise Port Review
  • Kiriwina (Papua New Guinea)
    Beautiful places and just a beach with locals along the grassed area selling their wares, local baskets and wood carvings. The beaches are lovely but some coral on one of them. One island had locals as 'security' so the passengers weren't bothered too much. Apparently it was a problem in the past but we didn't find it so now.
    View All 36 Kiriwina (Papua New Guinea) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kiriwina (Papua New Guinea) Cruise Port Review
  • Rabaul
    We just walked from the ship along the main street and the locals had their wares laid out on the grass. The roads were full of pot holes and it had been raining so full of water. People were friendly and we didn't feel bothered too much.
    View All 12 Rabaul Cruise Port Reviews