Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review
3,650 Reviews

This was supposed to be the Cruise of a Lifetime...

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ChickypooToo

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

The Ship:

We got what we expected out of the cruise. There were some things though that stood out that we did not like. Number one, my husband is a recovering alcoholic (22 years) so he did not want to buy the drink package. But since I bought the drink package he was forced to buy it, even though he also bought the soda package. I feel this was unfair and a waste of our money. Number two, the soda package was a joke. My husband bought the soda package because he likes Pepsi. Then we found out that you had to buy the actual cans of Pepsi that were in your room even though he spent money on the soda package. Why would he buy the soda package when he could’ve just drank the sodas out of the room and still pay the same price? Every time he ordered a soda they checked his card. But when I ordered a soda they didn’t check my card. So what exactly was the value of the soda package other than just taking our money? Number three we purchased the four specialty dining package. We tried to make reservations a few weeks before the cruise, not knowing that we had to make reservations weeks ahead of the cruise. No one told us that. So we were never able to get into Ocean blue, or the French restaurant. Cagney’s was very good, but we wanted to try other things. Number four, I understood why we couldn’t go to Norwegian’s private island or Costa Maya due to weather, but I didn’t understand why we wouldn’t get some sort of a rebate, because we paid for those locations and didn’t receive them. Number five, the staff at the excursion desk was so rude. We had a problem with one of our excursions, went to politely explain our problem, the gentleman who took our information never smiled and never commented, Just took down the information. He said we would receive a phone call within 24 hours which we never did. We did see a $12 each rebate on our cruise screen on the TV, but we paid $79 each for a package that was recommended by Norwegian, but was just horrible. Nothing that we read about the excursion was true. We feel like we should’ve received at least half back from this package. Number six, the disembarkation process was ridiculous. The way it was set up was good, by using colors, but you had to stand in lines that were 3 miles long rather than waiting for one color to finish and then calling the next color. I have mobility issues, and had a real problem standing in line for two hours, when I could’ve been sitting in one of the dining rooms waiting for my number to be called. Further, when we finally made it down to where our luggage was being held there were no signs for the brown luggage location. So I got in line, and my husband went back and searched everywhere for it and nobody could tell us where it was, it wasn’t until we reached the front of the line that we were told that the brown section was in another part of the enormous room. A sign saying, ”brown luggage in this direction” would have been very helpful. Now I don’t like to complain, and I probably would’ve been good with almost all of these things if we would’ve received friendly service (rather than rude service) from the excursion people, or from the cashiers at the casino. (The cashier at the casino was also all business no smiles as well).

Service: There were two people that really stood out. Mikal, who was our steward, could not have been better. He introduced himself the very first day, with a big smile on his face, and told us that if we needed anything to let him know. And he delivered on his promise. From new batteries on our remote control, to refilling the Pepsi in our refrigerator, to making our bed even when we just came in to take a little nap, he was the epitome of a stellar service. It seems like he worked 24/7 because he was always there to help us whenever we needed it. I don’t know how much he was being paid, but they need to clone him, because he was the best service that we could’ve asked for, and to receive customer service like that, is priceless.

The second person we’d like to add knowledge is Laurie who worked as a server in Cagney’s. The first time we went to Cagney’s, she explained every little thing that we needed to know about up charges, what to expect, and she did it in a friendly, charming, and delightful manner. The service was absolutely excellent. The second time we went to Cagney’s, we were seated in someone else’s section because Lori wasn’t serving that day. While we were eating, we did see her, and she greeted us like we were old friends. It was delightful to have her remember us, we told her we wanted to sit in her section and if we ever came back we’d ask for her.

Excursions: do not ever book the White House Beach Getaway on Grand Cayman. It was a joke. This was advertised as a beautiful beach where you could snorkel, or swim, or while the day away in a hammock. NOT. The actual beach was bout three feet of water to your ankles, then about 6 feet of sharp pointy rocks that they said to “avoid” (no way to do that), then about 2 miles of dense seaweed. They did not groom the beach in any way, and their pool was tiny. They overcharge you $79 for this. The drinks were $15 each and there was no lunch unless you paid $22 for a taco plate. Basically, we paid $79 for the privilege of sitting on one of their chairs.

ChickypooToo's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

The cabin was larger than we expected. We were at the front of the ship, so right under the bridge. Great view, great room, great service. We were very happy with our room.

Nassau

Beautiful beach, very nice lunch, well worth the money.

Ocho Rios

The water was a bit rough, but the beach was beautiful, the lunch was great - worth the cost,

Beach

Excursion was called, White House Beach Getaway...it was horrible. The beach was so crappy, sharp rocks, seaweed, ungroomed beach - no way you could swim, $17 drinks, $22 tacos. AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS...total ripoff for $79 pp

Harvest Caye

Belize was Bewonderful! We didn’t go on an excursion, but went into the shops. We had a great time. The shops were plentiful, clean and friendly. We loved it!

Beach

Ultimate resort Getaway...it was very nice, but you couldn’t swim at the beach. It was very sharp and rocky, we skipped the expensive lunch, but the people were nice, and it was a good day.

Beach

This was so fun, we went on a tour, got to watch the sea lions perform, and had a tequila tasting. I got bombed, it was a blast. Love Cozumel!

ChickypooToo