3. Viking Star
My husband and I chose this cruise to celebrate our retirement with my sister and her husband. We happened to depart on my birthday, so Viking provided a bottle of champagne and cake in celebration. The first full day at sea was a day of exploration of this beautiful ship. From the Explorer’s Lounge with its beautiful view and lovely collection of model ships to the incredible spa with its Snow Grotto, the Viking Star is stunning. Loved the Viking Voices shows and Munch Moments in the main stairwell. I spent much of the first day in the auditorium taking cooking classes with the chef and a Cuba history lecture with the ship’s historian. We arrived in Cienfuegos for our first look at this beautiful country and were did the optional tour of historic Trinidad. By far, my favorite part of our journey was the overnight in Havana where we were treated to an amazing tour guide of this historic city and the most amazing musical production—better than Vegas—at the Tropicana. The final port Santiago de Cuba again confirmed my opinion that the heart of Cuba is its incredible music that serenades you throughout your stay everywhere. Our final day at sea back on the ship provided us with continued pampering with a room service breakfast we had on our veranda, more lectures on Cuban music, antique cars and rum, movies, and our amazing dinners at the ship restaurants, Kitchen Table and Manfredis. We definitely look forward to our next ocean cruise on Viking.

The Soul of Cuba is its Music