Spirit Of Discovery Cruise Review

The good and not so good

Spirit Of Discovery Cruise Review by Tibbytoes

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean

I usually cruise with P&O or Cunard but thought I would give Saga a try on this beautiful new ship. Although Saga is advertised as for the over 50's, I would say it is more suitable for the over 75's (I'm 68).

The ship is spacious with quality furnishings and fittings and plenty of seating. However, it does roll a bit, even in calmer waters and we were unlucky enough to suffer extremely rough seas on our return from the Canaries, which meant we could not get to Lisbon and spent 4 days at sea.

Food is of a good standard, especially in the speciality restaurants, but these get fully booked within a couple of days, so book early! We particularly enjoyed the Club, excellent steaks.

Entertainment and activities were aimed at the older age group: the Sid Lawrence Orchestra was very popular but there were no other well known entertainers. There was a Motown show which is more my era, but there were no afternoon concerts (I usually enjoy a classical guitarist or pianist). There were only 2 speakers for the whole 2 weeks, so not enough variety there either.

Service was generally good, if slow a times. The staff are mainly Philipino or Indian but some seemed a little inexperienced. My cabin steward, Joel, was excellent.

We visited 5 ports, and the weather there was very good, 28 degrees in Las Palmas! I went on 4 excursions, the one on Lanzarote to Teguise and wine and cheese at the Peoples Monument was very good, but the one on Tenerife to Taganana was very poor and we were refunded 25% of the cost due to complaints.

Overall I enjoyed the time in the Canaries, but was a little bored on the sea days (thank goodness for the quizzes!).

Embarkation: very slow, I had to wait one and a quarter hours. Disembarkation was even worse, I had to wait two and three quarter hours. This alone would put me off cruising with Saga again, apart from the lack of entertainment and activities.

Tibbytoes's Full Rating Summary

Spacious cabin, equivalent to a double, with a few quirks. The fridge is only 6" deep and situated at the opposite en of the cabin from the tea making facilities. There were no biscuits! The hairdryer was very heavy and awkward to use, I always taken my own, but my friend had to ask for a lighter one from reception. There is not enough room in the wardrobe for shoes, I had to out the lifejackets, 2 blankets and a basket under the bed to make room.

Tibbytoes