Viking Star Cruise Review

Good cruise

Viking Star Cruise Review by Granny Glady

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

My sister and I took this cruise because we both had wanted to go to Athens, and we had never done that. We are both over 80 years old and have mobility problems. On the boat, everything was fine. Shore excursions less so. We did not realize that there were enrichment and entertainment options, Our fault, we did not look at the daily briefings. We both wanted to go to Knossos, but the boat docked at Chania, not Heraklion, We missed that excursion, especially since it was not recommended for people with mobility issues. Service aboard the boat was great, food was great, I was able to order eggs over easy, which was a treat. Desserts were fabulous. World Cafe great. We only went to one dinner at the Italian restaurant, we were seated with 4 other people, and all had a good time meeting them and chatting with them. We had two rough days, that was due to the weather, but everyone did what they could to help the old ladies.

I especially liked all the displays about Kon-Tiki and Ra. I have read Thor Heyerdahl's book where he and his wife went to a south sea island to get to the 'simple life', and found that it was not simple, and included lots of illness. Also, it was too bad you did not have another copy of the illustrated book written by one of the other raftees, available in the library. I have read that book, and read it aloud to 5th graders. You have a copy under glass.

I would rather have had more port stops, and less days 'at sea'.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Granny Glady's Full Rating Summary

great cabin. great service in the cabin.

Archeological Museum

Guide very knowledgeable about all the exhibits. And, wow! So much gold!

View All 65 Archeological Museum Reviews
Ephesus

Very interesting trip to Ephesus. Guide knowledgeable. The site itself could be improved for handicapped people with some kind of banisters, But we managed. The number of sales people on the way to the sit was not good. Also, we ended at a rug store, we were ready to go back to the ship by then.

Chania City Tour

This was a lot of walking for the old ladies. We only went to half of it. But the archaeological museum was interesting. We really had wanted to go to Knossos, so it was a disappointment.

View All 8 Chania City Tour Reviews
City Tour

This tour was a disappointment. I wanted to see the Nativity things in the city, and because of parking problems, we had to take a bus tour. Sorry that we did not just get off the boat and take a bus into town. Also, coming back was not explained to us, we were confused and did not know how to get back on the ship. DUH!

View All 77 City Tour Reviews