3. Viking Skirnir
We booked this cruise and my sister and brother-in-law joined us. They were returning to Europe for the first time since their marriage in Germany back in 1967. Had a wonderful time in Amsterdam (two night pre extension) walking around the city. Hotel Okura was pleasant but quite a walk to the museum area. Breakfast buffet was nice buy very pricey. Evening meals were taken at restaurants in the area of the hotel. Many tasty options. Hotel rooms were quite small, considering the cost. Transportation to the ship from the hotel was very good. Our bags were delivered to our cabin (340) without a hitch. This was a special trip for us and we booked one of the two Explorer Suites available on these type ships. They offer much more space and have the nice wrap around veranda. Unfortunately the bathroom had a continuous foul order (sewer gas) smell. This was brought to the attention of the ships steward several times yet the problem persist throughout the two weeks. This really put a damper on the whole Viking River Cruise experience. One would think that an issue of this type could and would be taken care of. Sadly this was not so. The food onboard was very tasty and diverse. We could see/tell/taste that very little was wasted. I do not point this out in a negative way, just to say that food that was prepped for a previous day could find its way into a meal the following day. Soups were a favorite place to blend veggies. The results were quite tasty. The young couple that provided the entertainment were quite engaging and a pleasure to hear. I was even allowed to sit in on a set the final night. It was great fun. Room (other than the sewer smell in the bathroom) services and dining/bar service was very good. The vast majority of the staff were quite friendly and attentive. Many of the excursions were designed for the “slow go” crowd and could get a bit tedious at times. Otherwise they provided a general overview of the ports of call. Nürnberg was one of our favorites. I lived there back in the late ‘60’s and was able to spend a night in the house where I lived. Viking made it easy for us to leave the ship for a night and meet back up with them. Spending time with the current owners of the house was an experience my sister and I will never forget. I even slept in my old bedroom after 50 years. Vienna and Salzburg were magical. The weather was kind and the vistas were wonderful. My wife loved seeing the Lipizzaner horses and stables. A lifelong dream come true. Would we go again? Well we have been on three cruises in the area with Viking and if they took better care of Explorer Suites we might consider a future trip.

Stinky Explorer Suite

DansJunkMail’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Skirnir price drops

Explorer Suite
Cabin ES
Sewer smell that was never corrected.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins