I don't know what all the fuss is about, but I actually loved the Veendam. This was my 7th HAL cruise and the 1st on the Veendam. If you want a quiet relaxing cruise this is the one for you. I went with a group of elderly gentlemen and had a fantastic time. Yes, there are not a lot of activities and the ship is older and smaller, but kept in immaculate condition. I had no problems on this cruise. I had a Vista suite, cabin B082 in the very aft of the ship in the corner. The cabin attendants (Indy & ?) were very attentive and kept the cabin in tip top shape. No problems with the heating or air conditioning. No clock, so bring one along, and only 1 electrical outlet but ask the cabin attendant for an extension cord or bring one along also. I found that the food was outstanding. I was a little hesitant on some of the beef dishes, but I needed not to be concerned as the beef tenderloins and short ribs were very tender. The dining room steward was friendly and attentive. Lunches were in the Lido room and a wide selection of dishes. This ship is mainly for the elderly, and the ship's personnel are geared to this age group. I was surprised on the amount of ship's personnel that were on board. Very few children on board. Did not attend any evening shows, preferring to spend my time with a good book. So if you want to get away, read some good books and just relax this is the ship for you. It's not a party ship, so don't be disappointed on the lack of activities.

Outstanding

Veendam Cruise Review by joedniceguy

• Sail Date: January 2020
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Verandah

Did not attend any evening shows, preferring to spend my time with a good book.

joedniceguy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Veendam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin B
Although not as large as the Neptune Suite, the Vista Suite is perfect for 1 person or 2 people at the max. Small deck. Only problem was only 1 electrical outlet. Check with the cabin steward for an extension cord.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins