3. Costa Diadema
This is my first time with Costa. In the past I usually cruised with Princess and Celebrity. After this cruise, I'll never cruise with Costa again. First, the service is terrible. The hospitality desk is absolutely clueless. There's always a long queue in front of the desk. When you finally got your turn, they would usually ask you to go somewhere else. Just to quote an example. When we board the ship, we were told that we had to deposit cash into our account. Then we went to the hospitality desk, and they asked us to do it at the machine. But when we tried to do it at the machine, it turned out that it doesn't accept the new type of Euro, and we ended up having to queue up at the hospitality desk again. On the last day. we needed to close the account. This time we didn't want to wait in long queues again. So we got up at 4am in the morning to close the account. Not surprisingly, the guy at the hospitality desk asked us to do it at the machine. When we did that, the machine asked us to contact the hospitality desk because it could not offer that amount of change (we were getting a refund of 120 Euro). Then we got back to the desk, the guy insisted that they could not close the account there. We had to show him the receipt generated by the machine. Then he finally went into the back office. In my view, if there are so many limitations with the machines, they should not drive people to use the machine all the time. Or at least they should not be that clueless when a customer said the machine couldn't do it. The story still hasn't ended. After waiting for more than 10 minutes, we asked the guy why it took so long. He said something like if we came in the middle of the night, it would be like that, and asked us to come again in the morning! Come on! Can't he see why we took all the troubles to get up in the middle of the night to get this thing done? My husband got angry and asked for his name. He then lost it! When my husband took a picture of his name plate, saying that we'll complain against him, he literally shouted at us "Are you happy now?" When we were talking to the manager, he tried to argue with us in front of the manager. The manager had to stop him several times in order to allow us to speak. I think this kind of attitude shows that the staff don't really care if the customers complain to the manager. They probably got used to it already. I've done some research about the ship and knew that the excursions are terrible. So we've decided to do our own excursion. Unfortunately, our stop at Oman had to be cancelled because the Sultan of Oman had passed away. The ship had to call on another port in UAE instead. This is not the ship's fault, but since we knew nothing about that new port, we wanted to seek some simple information about the new port, such as whether the cruise terminal is close to the town center, whether we need to take a taxi or there will be free shuttle. But then, there was a really long queue at the excursion office, and we needed to queue up for nearly an hour in order to seek those basic information. When we cruised with Princess and Celebrity, they would offer port information in many ways. Sometimes they would even organize seminars to facilitate passengers who do tours on their own. But there was nothing like that in this ship. Guess they want to make the passengers use their excursion service, which is so notoriously poor. The food is terrible. It's a ship for Italians. I don't understand how they can make the spaghetti so terrible. The dinner buffet only lasts for 2 hours, yes, 2 hours, and usually only one food station is open. When all the passengers are on board, they only open one food station for 2 hours! So you can imagine that you have to queue for nearly everything, even french fries. We've tried its assigned-sitting restaurants, but the food is even more awful, and the service sucks. You have to wait 30 mins for the water. So we gave up after 2 nights. For breakfast, there's always a long queue in front of the fried eggs. I'm not talking about made-to-order fried eggs, but those pre-cooked fried eggs contained in a pot. We need to queue for that every morning. I can go on and on, but I'm just too fed up to think about this ship again. To conclude, just stay away from Costa if you want quality service in your cruise.

Stay away from this ship

Costa Diadema Cruise Review by Byckwan

• Sail Date: January 2020
  • Destination: Middle East
  • Cabin Type: Classic Inside

I can go on and on, but I'm just too fed up to think about this ship again.

Byckwan’s Full Rating Summary