3. Norwegian Sun
I have cruised with NCL a handful of times, and have always been satisfied with the value for your money. This would be my first trip where I don’t feel that way. To be fair, the weather can never be predicted - but other cruises I have been on with inclement weather seemed to have better contingency plans. I haven’t cruised on a ship this small or old before, so I definitely will book any future cruises based more off of the ship vs the dates and destinations. The ship feels very old, and the rough waters during this cruise were unbearable. I never get sea sick, but there were plates flying on the floor in the restaurants and my closet door even swung open and broke off of the hinges due to the turbulence. The power went out in the casino as I walked through, and even some of the crew members called in sick due to extreme conditions. The outside areas of the ship were virtually useless for a majority of the trip, so most events were moved to the crowded Bliss Lounge. There wasn’t a lot of entertainment on the ship, with the exception of Bingo, Deal or No Deal, board games, and a comedian. Many of the locations and activities didn’t have active servers during the events, like most NCL cruises I have been on before. Some areas even had the bars closed during events, making it inconvenient for our travel party. On day 2, my husband booked an eyebrow wax at the spa. We have done this on other NCL cruises, and he gets them at home every 4-6 weeks. The spa employee completely ripped the skin off of the top and bottom of both brows. Either the wax was too hot or the technique was incorrect, but my husband had scabs around his eyes from day 2 through disembarking. We did show the spa manager, and he was very concerned and conceded that it had to have been a technique issue. He refunded the service, but my husband was forced to wear sunglasses for the remainder of the trip to cover the bloody scabs around his eyes. The dining was very limited compared to the other ships I have been on (even the staple Garden Cafe seemed to rotate hamburgers and hot dogs every day, and lacked variety). We went to the Sports Bar late one evening, and waited 20 minutes without being served, so we left and ordered room service. We dined as a large group at the Four Seasons a couple of times, and the service and food there was great. We brought 16 people, and a few of them were first time cruisers. I kept reassuring them that this wasn’t normal, but I felt bad that their first experiences had so many issues. The crew did a decent job, but many of them were noticeably off of their game due to the conditions. Dave (Trippong) P at guest services was very helpful. I had to visit the desk nightly to get sea sickness medicine. I’m hoping that this trip was a fluke, because NCL has been my preferred cruise line the past 4-5 years, but I definitely won’t go on the Sun ever again. My family is still worn out and seasick a day later. *I hadn’t cruised from Port Canaveral before, and the embarking/disembarking process was the easiest I’ve ever experienced.

My least favorite NCL ship