3. Marella Explorer 2
Our First cruise since 2012 and we chose to have it at Christmas was perhaps the best one, as this ship was not too big to get around and we docked at most ports very close to the Caribbean island's terminals. The crew were friendly and always busy but able to help when needed with the ship being cleaned on a daily basis. The food was very good and able to use the main restaurant (Latitude 53 ) without any booking (other than Christmas day )with a good selection of house wine/beers and the food was great too. On sea days the pool area was always full and many decided to put their towels down as early as 5.30am (I was informed by a crew member), very selfish I thought from fellow British passengers (who think they are still on their old beach holidays I'm sure). Being an all inclusive ship I thought of having to pay £7 extra per day for any premium drinks(this year it has gone up by 20%) a bit expensive( a card that can be scanned would help here, so if anyone had more than their daily quota would be charged accordingly) TUI take note!. The trips ashore I thought to be expensive, but you do not need to do many as there was always something to do or even stay on board and relax by the pool as we did(plenty of sunbeds around, but several needing to be replaced as they were falling apart, not even lasting 9 months they have been in service- perhaps they were a job lot... Whilst the pool was seawater( with a chlorinated smell) that kept you from putting your feet down at the bottom, I also felt the steps entering the pool were set too far apart some found it very difficult to get in and out with the over large diameter stainless steel arms as many had trouble gripping them(unless you had builders hands), as I see other ships have also graduated steps to get in, so this is bad point for TUI and should again take notes for improvements... Other than that we did really enjoy the trip and felt we do another again soon(with TUI of course).

Very relaxing with fantastic views

Marella Explorer 2 Cruise Review by davidmorey

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean

davidmorey’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Explorer 2 price drops

Clean tidy and plenty of wardrobe storage space the bathroom on the small size but they say this is normal for this category I felt the basin was on the small side too,
The cabin tea and coffee facilities was replenished twice daily and the cabin always kept clean to a high stardard.
I did not like having a fridge that you would have to pay for any item used, but liked the idea of having a chilled water dispenser outside next to the lifts to fill up your daily needs.