Viking Sun Cruise Review

16th cruise

Viking Sun Cruise Review by 4realrod

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: South America

My experience on Viking is one to be remembered. It was my 16 th cruise but first on Viking.

At first I found the decor rather bland but got to like the calm atmosphere it reinforced. I liked that there were, no kids, not that I’m against kids, but the pools were accessible and there were no loud noises and such from misbehaved kids. My Veranda room was great, save for the bed which was the most uncomfortable, even with three layers of extra bedding to help. It didn’t really do anything. The mattress needed replacement. The maid constantly came in the room while we were in it and would clean until we put the sign on the door for privacy. I found that odd, at least she was working. She taught us how it worked. The help everywhere was exceptional overall. Kind, friendly, attentive and ready to please. There were only a couple of people that were less than warm.

Room service was great, they were quick, had lots of options and provided great service. Highly recommended. Food was excellent. Lots of great options to choose from and I sent one thing back for being unchewable and only Heard- of another complaint. Always another opti was provided. Going over my special menu often was awkward for me with diet restrictions because they would come to the table and go over every item in a way that made me feel like the message was That I was over ordering my appetizers though it was never said. Sometimes they didn’t show up? Usually I got what I ordered and it was delicious. Main entrees came with few vegetables which I missed. You’d have to order on the side. Emphasis on Salads always seemed a bit minimal unless you built your own or went to the pool area to access the larger bowls of greens instead of the very small salad greens they served indoors. The bar had options indoors, just one featured daily salad and the cramped area for greens. Not a big deal, just a work around. The Muslim bar for breakfast was great with GF options. I requested they also offer almond milk as they only had soy and reg. The free wine and beer was enjoyable. The wine was fine, sometimes better than others, but you’d want to order a bottle if you wanted better.

The spa was lovely with many options, however it didn’t open until 8 which meant I only got to use it once. The classes they offered, yoga, fascia I enjoyed if in sometimes less than ideal locations due to sun, wind, weather and a/c.

Their entertainment was good, just not quite the caliber of shows as on other lines. I’d give them overall a B+ though I enjoyed a number of performances very much. Vicki Van Tassel our cruise director was talented and quite fun to watch! The asst. Cruise director Elmer was also quite a talented singer. The lectures were very good, the art class was taught by a professional artist and art professor. They had quality people to keep everyone educated and entertained.

The service desk was open 24/7....amazing! They had excellent free tours included and went out of their way to insure guests would be taken care of. The food on tours was great from what I had. The guides varied in knowledge and enthusiasm. Some were way better than others, some not so well informed, based on my experience and what I was told.

Overall it was the best service, best food, most relaxing cruise, wonderful spa, that I’ve yet enjoyed. I can highly recommend Viking.

4realrod's Full Rating Summary

Great room, storage in drawers was very minimal, the bed was terrible

Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

Loved Antigua! Great location. Our tour lady was helpful, kind, a little difficult to always understand but I speak Spanish so not a big problem. Would’ve liked a bit more information about places.

4realrod