3. Carnival Magic
I sailed with my hubby, son and a friend. Hubby and I were in balcony cabin 8254. The bathroom was roomy and clean, the bed was very comfortable and the balcony, although not super large, was roomy enough for the two of us to enjoy our morning coffee and evening wine. The very best thing about the cruise was the food, we didn't have a bad meal the entire eight days. We dined at the Prime Steakhouse the first night and if I had to do it over again, I would skip the $38 US up charge and eat at the main dining room instead, which in our case, was Northern Lights (anytime dining). Yes, it is noisier in the main than the Steakhouse, and no, the service is not as fast, but the food was just as good and we aren't too bothered with having to wait, after all, we're on vacation, what's the rush? Every night there was something different, and yes, the chocolate melting cake is every bit as good as everyone says. I had it with peanut butter on the side one night - definitely the way to go! We didn't eat at the buffet except for one meal which for buffet food, was tasty and hit the spot. My son said they made the best meatball sub he had ever eaten and considering how much he loves meatball subs, that indeed is high praise. The complimentary luncheon pasta bar at La Cucino del Capitano was a nice surprise, definitely give it a try. Of course, Guy's Burgers was a must and didn't disappoint, however, the taco salad bowl from Blue Iguana was not quite as crisp and fresh as I was hoping it would be. Guy's Pig and Anchor also did not quite hit the mark for hubby and I, a bit greasy and over the top for our taste. The entertainment is where things fall into the so-so category. There are two musicals, both seemed a bit tired and cliche, but we didn't expect too much in this department, so weren't disappointed. One of the comics in Punchliner's was terrific, the other, just okay. The atrium is bright and overdone, but magical just the same! The nightly violin players on the podium helped keep those waiting for dinner happy (and drinking, the bar was oh so handy) and in the evenings, cruise director Simon London was there to keep things hopping. Overall, the staff were terrific - friendly and very anxious to please. We did not attend any of the parties or trivia (we're balcony dwellers) so cannot comment on that aspect of the cruise. We didn't use Waterworks, nor did we swim in the Lido pool. It was crowded, but not so much that one couldn't enjoy a cool dip if that is what they wanted. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Magic, especially once she returns from her dry dock in the Spring.

Despite a sinus infection, a very enjoyable time!

Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Seabiecruiser

Seabiecruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Magic price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B
Roomy, port side, two electrical plugs (yeah!), very comfortable bed, balcony has a roof, handy to the elevators (wasn't bothered by noise), lots of shelves, large couch, overlooked the promenade deck.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• San Juan
    Hubby and I wandered the streets of San Juan for a few hours and admired the architecture, but since I was not feeling that well, we didn't stop at any sites or restaurants.
    View All 3,875 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • 4x4 Adventure
    Hubby, son and friend went on the excursion, I was too ill to do so. They enjoyed the jeep ride but like many others, got separated from the group with no directions or map or contact information to guide them back to the ship. They did eventually return just in time, but the stress of the experience did place a damper on the trip.
    View All 28 4x4 Adventure Reviews