3. Carnival Sunrise
I went with two members of my family on this cruise near the end of August 2019. I'm late writing this review, but after a few months of thinking about our vacation, one thing became glaringly obvious: this ship is overcrowded. All my family can remember is waiting for half an hour or forty minutes on line to pick up a sandwich, which only had two people behind the counter. The buffet lines were an absolute nightmare - the food itself was average and nothing special, but waking up every morning to see a line that extends beyond the door is not fun. The workers were obviously overworked and stretched too thin. We had a different steward cleaning our room every day, which is uncommon for a cruise. Usually we get to know our cabin steward and become friends, but it was not the case this time. The food in the main dining hall was fine, nothing of note. However, the waiters were running around all the time because there weren't enough workers to handle the flow, and food took up to an hour to arrive. It was ridiculous. After their $200 million dollar renovation which added a bunch of new cabins and took out public space, it seems that the ship is overloaded with people. The entertainment was okay. We've seen better shows on other ships, and ones with more variety like magic and acrobatics. They had three main shows here. I don't really remember any of them, but I liked Chris the Flying Scotsman's singing show. Chris was an AMAZING cruise director. He really saved our cruise here and gave my mom at least something to look forward to. Coming to the lobby and doing those showdowns was incredibly fun. Our cabin was maintained fine. They cleaned once a day. We're spoiled by cruises, so we expected twice a day cleanings. But it was acceptable. But the public spaces were not well maintained, and it felt dirty. There was just simply not enough crew to clean. We went to Turks and Caicos, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico, all right at the tail of the hurricane. But we navigated around it and it was a nice experience at the ports. My favorite was T&C! The beach right by the cruise port is beautiful. All in all, I think that renovation completely destroyed this ship's flow. The number of passengers went up, but the crew number remained the same. It was a nightmare every meal. We've done Carnival before, but that was a New England cruise and it wasn't as discombobulated at this. I recommend the ports, though!

Very Crowded, at all times

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by mcreached

mcreached’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Sunrise price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6D
Oceanview cabin. Enough space. Sofa bed expanded to a bed. Bathroom was small.
Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)
    The water park next to the port is lovely. The pools are pretty, the water slides were fun, and the zipline was 20 dollars for unlimited rides. I went three times! Very nice, and free.
    View All 759 Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) Cruise Port Review
  • Grand Turk
    The beach by the port is more than enough. The water is lovely and there's chances to do watersports.
    View All 2,151 Grand Turk Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Turk Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    We did a bus tour that was supposed to go into the city, but our tour guide got caught in traffic and he stopped the tour before we went into the city. All we saw was city hall and some streets outside of Old San Juan. We saw the fort from the outside as well. It was apparent that if we did not get stuck in traffic, the tour would've continued on. But because it was an independent tour guide, he could stop whenever he wanted to. And he told us it was a 2 1/2 hour tour, so he told us he could drop us off at the city or at the beach, even though it was promised he would bring us into the city. I suggest booking a legit tour next time, so you get your money's and time's worth.
    View All 238 City Tour Reviews