Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review
2,620 Reviews

A perfect 50th birthday cruise in every way!

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by KB Cruisin

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

We were on Liberty of the Seas January 12-19, 2020. We had only been on one cruise before, last May, on the Harmony. We had originally reserved an inside promenade view room but won the royal up bid to get a balcony. After getting on the ship, I was really grateful for the upgrade. We really enjoyed the balcony.

We stayed in Room 6628. Our cabin steward was James. This was his last cruise until he finished his 7 month contract to go home to his family. He was counting down excitedly while I was hoping the days would last endlessly! He left us several cute towel animals on the cruise - I think there were three of them. I love towel animals - just a fun perk on the cruise. Our room was always made nicely.

Because we sailed on the Harmony which is brand new, we were a little worried when we read reviews that said the Liberty was worn down. We chose Liberty because we live in Texas and this was a cheaper cruise for us to get away and celebrate without having to fly in to somewhere. Despite the reviews, I felt that Liberty was a great ship. If you looked for wear, you could find some areas, but, overall, it had a beautiful grandeur of its own. I thought the ship was beautiful and was not at all disappointed. Of course, it is smaller than Harmony and less glitzy (Harmony is the oooh lala of ships right now), but Liberty is beautiful and provided everything we needed and wanted for a wonderful trip.

We did use the Key program for our cruise. When we used the key on the Harmony, it was new (back in May) and there were some issues implementing the program. Not huge, but some issues. On Liberty, they knew exactly what they were doing with the Key. There are all sorts of debates over whether the Key is worth it. If you like the perks, I can definitely say that the Liberty staff was very well informed on the Key and we were able to use all the benefits we wanted without any issues whatsoever. Whether the key is worth it for your sailing is a personal issue, but, if you want it, you will not have issues on the Liberty. They are very familiar with the program and executed flawlessly.

Another great part of Liberty was the menu. Lloyd was our waiter in the main dining room. We also did Chops. I am diabetic and control my diabetes without meds - so a very strict sugar free diet. I am also celiac. As a result, I am a bit of a hassle when eating out. It is a challenge for me because I have to trust those who serve me because there are no labels for me to read. The first night, Lloyd insisted that I get dessert. I was set on going without dessert to not spike my numbers. Every night, I was in the main dining room, Lloyd tried to get a dessert I could eat. He was trying harder than I was. But, by mid week, he had special requests put in to the chef and I had the BEST sugar free, gluten free cheesecake! The food at Chops was great, but they never could duplicate the desserts that Lloyd worked so hard to provide. WJ also had some gluten free and sugar free desserts (although not as wonderful as that cheesecake) and, for my birthday celebration at Chops, they did get hold of some of Lloyd's requested cheesecake from the main dining room. All of the entrees were very good. I was just particularly impressed by the dessert effort because that is typically very challenging with my dietary needs. I share all this because it is very tough to eat out with dietary restrictions. To cruise can be even more challenging. My sugar levels stayed consistent and I did not get "gluten-ed" during the trip. I credit that with the careful efforts of Lloyd, my main dining room waiter, and the staff at Chops who took care of me very well. Also, when Lloyd saw me at WJ for breakfast one morning, he was not even acting as my waiter, and took special effort to make sure I got a gluten free omelet. I definitely felt like they took the dietary issues seriously - which for me, they are - and helped make my cruise over the top by working on the issues. My husband, who has no dietary issues, loved all the entrees and desserts as well!

We did not do shows this time but did some ship activities like watching the belly flop competition and participating in the activities fair the last day. Such fun, light hearted activities! We enjoyed those things we participated in.

We did also get the photo package on a black friday sale. My dear husband went to 291 photos with me!!! He deserves an award. We never splurge for photos in our everyday life. With THAT many, we were bound to get some good ones and we sure did!!! Because this was a very special cruise (50th birthday), I am very glad to have so many wonderful photos with my sweetheart. A special shout out to Pratik, from India, who always takes extra time to get a good photo, especially if there is no one in line. He is extremely talented and you can tell he really enjoys taking photos. Of course, there are busy nights like formal nights, but, if you can catch him where there isn't a line, he will take some great photos!

I found the crew to be outstanding on this ship. Everyone was very friendly. I loved that lady at the WJ who gave out the hand sanitizer. She would dance to the music and say, "Washie Washie." Her adorable personality and fun dancing was a highlight of the day. She exemplified the fun attitude of all the crew on board. Just great people.

We have only had the two cruises - one on Harmony and one now on Liberty. We immensely enjoyed both. We used Next Cruise to rebook on Liberty in a few months. Because it is closer to our home, we can cruise for alot cheaper. The experience was everything I hoped it would be and more. I am very grateful we went on Liberty and had such an amazing time!!!

KB Cruisin's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Balcony

We were upgraded through a royal up bid and I am so glad we were! I had originally done a promenade view to save some money, but this balcony room was very nice. There was one issue inside the sliding door that kept us awake at night when the seas were choppy. I am sure that it could be easily fixed but it was difficult to duplicate when seas were not choppy. We used ear plugs and it fixed that. The room was spacious and nice. It had a good layout with plenty of storage. Great place to put on makeup with a large mirror. We liked the quick access to the MDR and elevators. We did not get elevator noise. We would definitely book this room and this floor again.

We loved this group! We went out with Sammi and Pepe. What great fishing guides! Our particular day was crummy for fishing because it had been a full noon the night before, we were mostly off season, and the water was way choppy. We also were not able to get there early for the best fishing. Having said that, the worst day fishing beats the best day working!! Sammi and Pepe worked so hard for us! My husband caught a HUGE wahoo, as well as a medium wahoo. Other ships were catching nothing. Then, because I enjoy fishing but I cannot pull in the big ones, they put me over a school of trigger fish and let me catch a bunch. At the end of the trip, Sammi made the BEST fresh ceviche ever right there on board with the wahoo we had caught. If these men could give us such a great experience on a rotten fishing day, I cannot imagine what they could do on a good day in season. We will definitely book again. The ceviche alone was worth it!!!!

View All undefined undefined Reviews

I had read all the great reviews about Captain Marvins and I am sure they do a wonderful excursion. However, on our day in port, the winds were high and the excursion we booked was canceled. I want to say at the outset, that I applaud the safety approach in canceling the excursion. While I was really looking forward to it, I definitely appreciate the financial hit they took to cancel due to safety. That's why I gave 3 stars. The deduction of 2 stars was for the notice. They never emailed or texted to say it was canceled. Here is the problem. This is a tender port. My husband and I loaded up our snorkel masks and fins, sunscreen, towels, and water bottles and took the tender over to Grand Cayman. Other passengers on the actual tender boat said their excursions were canceled. They had no gear with them and could research alternatives. We unload on Grand Cayman and hike with our gear to the shop area where Captain Marvin's was located. We were two hours before the excursion and wanted to just check in. There were several employees there who just casually said our excursion was canceled. No one had tried to contact us but obviously the decision had been made prior. We were stuck in Grand Cayman with our gear. On the ship, we had internet and could book another excursion or research options. We did not have that on Grand Cayman, had never been there before, and could not book something else. Instead, we carried our gear to a couple shops and ate. Deciding it wasn't worth it, we loaded back on the tender and spent the rest of the day on the ship. We would have preferred if Captain Marvin's had done what the other excursion operators had done - sent an email. If they had done that, we would have left our bags on the ship, not carried a bunch of snorkel gear, and could have used the internet to research other options. As it was, this was our least favorite port because we simply did not have a good opportunity to plan under the circumstances and shopping at port was no fun hauling our gear.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Falmouth

I did not expect to love this port as much as we did!!!! This was a definite favorite of ours!! We got some beautiful tshirts for family at home, met many wonderful people from Jamaica, and enjoyed the craft area. There was steel drum music in the center of the port and authentic jerk chicken. Remember that, in the center craft area, you can bargain the price down. You can do this a little in the stores but not as much. I spent hours walking around just enjoying the beautiful day. I loved the people and all the items for sale were fun to see. I definitely enjoyed this port so much!!!

KB Cruisin