• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2010
Cabin: Balcony

Day 1 The drive to Seattle was uneventful. We arrived around 11am, found the garage where my car would be housed for the upcoming week, gave our luggage to the man in the garage, and found our way to the cruise ship. The line through security looked long but moved pretty quickly. My belt set off the metal detectors, of course, but that was the only issue. Before we got onto the ship we had to sanitize our hands, something we would quickly get used to. There is automated hand sanitizer everywhere, at every elevator, in every restaurant, at the theater, in the bars, everywhere (except in our stateroom). We couldn't get into our room for another few hours, but there was a "Welcome BBQ" and by the time we'd finished eating our room was ready. It was tiny, but impressive how they managed to fit a queen sized bed, pull-out sofa, coffee table, desk, closet, drawers, etc into the tiny room. The bathroom is very tight, with sliding glass doors dividing the shower, toilet and sink areas (how do overweight people work with this?). I was pleased to discover that there are plenty of meat-free options, and every main dining room has at least one vegetarian specific meal. The meat items at the buffet are clearly labeled, and the food is delicious. The mandatory lifeboat training was b.s.... a half hour of learning where to go and how to put a life preserver on. Wow. The first night there was a welcoming show, where we saw snippets of the entertainment varieties for the upcoming week. They really push the alcohol on board, and my first drink was $10.75 with taxes and the 15% auto-gratuity. I didn't feel too out of place as there were a fair amount of younger people, and a few others traveling with their parents. As far as children went, there were also a decent amount, but they were largely well-behaved. There was only one incident in the Aqua restaurant where a screaming toddler was not promptly removed from sight.

Day 2

A full day of sailing to Ketchikan, Alaska. The cruise directors tried to keep everyone entertained, but there's only so much one can do. Thankfully, there was a free liquor tasting and 10% off liquor purchases, but you cannot keep the liquor you buy in your room... I'll have to pick it up on Friday, between 7 and 9 pm. I've already spent far too much money. I'm amused by Captain-Gunnar-On-The-Bridge's announcements. The second night there was a brief magic show (Bob Trunell), which I was dreading but was pretty decent in the end. There was no lighter fluid, nor pennies flying out of sleeves (on day 6 there was a coin trick), but his illusions were good. The actual full length magic show is scheduled for the fifth night, I believe. The magic show was followed by the Jean Ann Ryan Dancers, who I suppose would be good if you're into that sort of thing... Yvar, at the Red Lion Pub, is a great bartender.

Balcony

Cabin BD

Nice balcony, decent sized room for three people, comfortable beds (even the sofa bed), tiny bathroom. Above the promenade and near the theater, so slightly loud when shows would get out.

previous reviewnext review