3. Norwegian Jade
I chose this cruise due to its Itinerary and price. They were offering a low single supplement cost, which made it very attractive. I booked a single-supplement, mini-suite for $1,300 total. My expectations were low. I haven’t sailed NCL for many years. Most of my recent cruises have been on Cunard, but was using a recent RCCL cruise as a point of comparison. Comparing NCL to RCCL on these two cruises, I would definitely choose NCL over RCCL in the future. NCL’s not good at everything, but on the factors that make a cruise enjoyable for me, they did very well. My room was smartly appointed and quiet despite being under the pool deck and having a connecting door. The bathroom was well thought-out as well with terrific water-pressure, a large tub, and the ability to close off each area from the other, allowing a couple or family to use different functions simultaneously. My stateroom itself was large and smartly designed. I was in stateroom 11540 a mini-suite located directly beneath the pool deck. I think this is not the room for you if you’re very noise sensitive. But it was not too much of an issue for me. I brought a small fan both to aid air circulation and to provide white noise. I think NCL did a good job insulating these rooms from the noise above. I only really noticed the noise of loungers being stacked or unstacked around 9am and 9pm. The noise was not that loud, nor did it last more than 30 minutes or so. I rarely heard noise from the hallway or adjoining staterooms, which I have heard on other cruise ships. I don’t really participate in any activities or watch much entertainment. Everything on ships like these are too loud and crowded for me, so I tend to seek out quieter spots on the ship. I was able to find some nice relaxing areas on the Jade. First, signing up for the thermal spa was smart. It is very quiet there and has great views over the bow of the ship. It’s a great spot to take a steam, sit in a hot tub, or just read. There were also other good spots to quietly watch the world float by. I also think most of the perfunctory exercises (including embarkation and disembarkation) were well organized. I didn’t sit needlessly on long annoying lines, which I really do appreciate. As for the less satisfying aspects of this ship: I think the food lacked quality, and generally service was robotic, oblivious and sometimes downright incompetent. I cannot count the number of times I was served coffee without sugar, or toast without a knife to spread butter or jam, or french fries without ketchup. With some exceptions the staff seems to maintain a general disdain for their guests. With the exception of staff that had to acknowledge guests as part of their function, staff seemed completely disinterested in greeting or acknowledging their guests. Unfortunately I ate most of my meals in the buffet, which I know is not a good idea, but on this ship it provided an astonishing education in the creative use of leftovers. I don’t think I ate a single buffet item all week that wasn’t a leftover from another venue. Leftover steak? Add onions and peppers and call it Lomo Saltado! Left over cabbage? Add vinegar and something orange and let’s call it Kimchi! And every single “chef’s special” dessert was simply a “bread pudding” made up of that morning’s mushed-up, left-over french toast! both brilliant and gross at the same time, but it certainly doesn’t make for good eating, and it doesn’t show much respect for your guests. But alas, I don’t go on cruises to eat great food, or see world-class entertainment. I go on cruises to comfortably experience places I haven’t been to before. NCL Jade provided a comfortable, quiet room that took me to visit new cities and at a very reasonable price. I can’t complain too much about that.

Very good value. Ship & Stateroom Good. Food & Service Sub Par.

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by edcarp

• Sail Date: January 2020
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

As for the less satisfying aspects of this ship:

edcarp’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA
Terrific room. Some noise from pool deck above, but not too bad. Good space, well-appointed with a nice balcony. Bathroom had great water pressure and smart design. I didn’t hear anything from the adjoining room.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins