3. Royal Princess
Late in the evening on Day 3, I got very sick that had me laid out for about 2 1/2 days likely from the bad food. It was the worst experience of my life. I was throwing up all night and had bloody diarrhea. I tried to call the medical clinic the next morning, but they were closed for some sort of medical drills util 4:30 p.m. that afternoon so I was told. The ship didn't even have pepto bismal for sale, which was ridiculous. My boyfriend even asked the customer service counter for Tums, and told them what had happened to me. They didn't care, they then sold him Tums for $4. So rude, especially when their ship poisoned me! Thankfully, my boyfriend was able to later find some medicine for my stomach in Mazatlan thank god. A few days after we got home, we found out that another family on the same ship also became ill. I should have known, as the food was terrible everywhere we ate. I ate pork roast the night I got sick and thought it didn't taste right. My boyfriend had chicken. Also, the scrambled eggs in the buffet were swimming in egg juice. Salmonella? The food at the Crown Grill wasn't good at all either. How does anyone screw up a baked potato? But, they did! Outback Steakhouse is better. Not at all worth the price. Oh, and the milk they use for cereal I noticed didn't expire until December 2020! What kind of milk can last for nearly a year?! There has got to be some serious chemicals in that milk. Additionally, the service everywhere was terrible. Nobody who worked there could speak English, let alone provide any information about anything, and they were pretty much rude. The ship was constantly moving up and down and you could hear it mostly in the dining rooms with the fixtures clinking around. We even went to a presentation about the ship, and the presenter (a member of the crew) boasted on how they don't even use the stabilizers, but have them! Our clothes were literally swinging in our closet! Everyone kept commenting on how much the ship moved, how bad the service was, how bad the food was, etc. (We had to keep taking dramamine.) Oh, and if you think the dining room breakfast (breakfast ends at 9am in the dining room, which is ridiculous) will be better from the buffet, it is not. Same exact gross food. I also had an overpriced massage at the Spa. Even though I had an appointment, I had to wait over 20 minutes. Then, I was forced to change in front of others into a robe as there were no private dressing areas. I was not happy about this. I literally had people right up next to me changing. So uncomfortable. When I asked for an alternate changing area, I was told I could go in the cold wet shower and change there. Nice. Then after the massage, the lady wouldn't stop hassling to me to buy a bunch of over priced products I couldn't even understand what they were and I didn't want. I could barely get away from her. So this was not a fun experience needless to say. When I got home, I also learned of an old friend from high school who was on the December 28th cruise on Royal Princess, who said that he has been on tons of cruises and this was by far the worst cruise that he had ever been on. He said the food and service was terrible as well. Even the drinks were bad. None of the bartenders are equipped to make a drink aside from what is listed on their menus, and even then they are terrible. I wanted a raspberry lemon drop (not a difficult drink to make), but we asked countless bartenders, and nobody knew what we were even talking about. Hell, the bartenders could barely understand English as it was. After being home for a few days, I received a survey and filled out everything that happened to us. When I learned of others getting sick, I called Princess Cruises to again report what had happened. I was told there was no live person to reach regarding my complaint, and to send an email to Customer Relations. When I sent the email, the automated response requested that I call Princess Cruises with a complaint. Clearly, they don't care and just give you the run-a-round. The entertainment was basically the same thing repeated every other night. Nothing exciting. Some of the game type shows dragged on forever and took way too long. Also, you have to take the little boats out to get to Cabo. Loading and unloading took forever, and there is absolutely no ventilation if you are stuck inside that thing, instead of on top. You are forced to just sit there and sweat. It was miserable. Lastly, we were second in line to get off the ship at 7:10 a.m. (I wanted off that ship and we were downstairs at 6:00 a.m.) We watched crew members and a sick lady get off about 6:45 a.m., but were told that we weren't cleared by customs. Not sure how that could be, when they were clearly letting others off. We didn't get off until 7:30, 20 minutes late. Miserable end to a miserable trip. STAY AWAY. UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND $2,400 JUST TO GET SICK IN RETURN.

Stay Away From This Ship

Royal Princess Cruise Review by marie42

• Sail Date: January 2020
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

STAY AWAY. UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND $2,400 JUST TO GET SICK IN RETURN.
marie42’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MC
The room was dingy and gross. Our air conditioning didn't work for 1 1/2 days. They kept trying to say it did, when nothing was coming out of the vents and it was hot as hell in there! I finally kept asking do you feel anything coming out, then the would pretend not to understand English and leave and fix nothing. They just gas lighted us until a manager finally appeared and made someone fix the AC. The shower curtain was discolored and gross. There were other people's hairs everywhere. We never got the same set of towels. One night we had bath towels and no others. (No hand towels, no washcloths, no bath mat, etc) Then, the next night we might have a bath towel and wash cloth, and nothing else. And, the plug in the bathroom isn't for a U.S. connection. I had to dry and do my hair over the desk, which was gross as those were the only plugs compatible with my equipment.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins