3. Norwegian Pearl
I traveled with a group of 16 people on this cruise. It was an "Escape From Winter" cruise. I liked the size of the ship....not too large. Staff was friendly and the Captain was amazing, speaking 5 different languages to welcome everyone on the first night! Staff was courteous and kind. Activities Director was a hoot. However, after about 4 days on a 6 day cruise, I was ready to leave. Here's why: There seemed to be no space anywhere around the small pool area to sit or swim. There was no shrimp to be found anywhere. There were no towel animals. I know, I know first world problem.....but I missed them! Food on the menu had weird names like Walleye Cod. Well, is it a walleye or a cod? Main dining room menu was boring and uninspired. We ordered chicken wings 5 times in O'Sheehan's. They arrived cold every. single. time. In the Lotus Garden restaurant the food was cold, dry and pretty uneatable. The rice was ice cold and tasted like frozen rice that wasn't heated up properly. I was so excited for this restaurant and it was a big disappointment. I LOVE Chinese food. I really didn't like anything I ate there. Customer Service people extremely rude and not courteous. Amazingly bad. And then there was the Karaoke: The Pearl has a policy that everyone sings in the order that their slips of paper are filled out and handed in to the DJ. We had to endure some pretty bad singers every single night singing the same songs over and over and over. Sometimes they sang 7 times or more in one night! New policy would be easy: Once you've sung once you cannot sing for another half hour. End of problem! Also, I wanted to sing an Abba song. Because the main show had a five minute Abba number on the main stage once, all the Abba songs were pulled from the Karaoke playlist. Come on, we're all not THAT good. No threat to the cast on the ship as far as I could see! On a positive note, the Bliss Lounge was amazing, with fantastic decor. Speaking of Entertainment, I thought the cast and entertainers did a fantastic job on the main stage and in the nooks and crannies of the ship. All professional actors and musicians and all music was fantastic. I enjoyed the comedian at the FIRST show. At the second show he got, very, very rude and I really did not enjoy it. I am not a prude. Just did not appreciate how hard he tried to be rude. I didn't mind the swearing, it was his jokes. Next time, I'm going to bed!! I stayed away from the Buffet because there was just too many people there. However, there is a really nice place to sit in the back outside, very pleasant. However, all the people serving were just wonderful, caring and courteous people. They did wonderful! The people on board, both staff and cruisers seemed to be really nice.....all the time. I just wish it would have been better.

Could Have Been So Much Better.....

Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by JJNorsk

However, after about 4 days on a 6 day cruise, I was ready to leave.

Here's why:

There seemed to be no space anywhere around the small pool area to sit or swim.

There was no shrimp to be found anywhere.

Main dining room menu was boring and uninspired.

Customer Service people extremely rude and not courteous. Amazingly bad.

And then there was the Karaoke:

I just wish it would have been better.
JJNorsk’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Pearl price drops

Family Balcony
Cabin B2
Typical balcony cabin. Upon arrival there were all sorts of flecks outside all over the balcony. It was paint flaking down from above. Our cabin steward cleaned it up, but it kept falling down and we continually tracked it into the room. When it rained, the drains did not work very well, and there was always water standing at the edge of the balcony. Very comfy beds. Good lighting and places to plug in our phones.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    The best thing to do in Costa Maya is to get out of the pier area as soon as possible. There were 4 ships in port the day we were there. Too many people in such a small area. It was absolutely awful. So I headed to the taxi area. You must walk on the sidewalk to the left. Go outside the gate. Taxis are lined up there. It is $4 per person if you share. I had them take me to Blue Cay. https://www.bluekaymahahual.com/ It is the last resort at the end of Mahahual near the lighthouse. I enjoyed a lounge chair and one drink for $12. Relaxed and enjoyed my day. I was not really bothered by vendors trying to sell as I was at the end of the beach. When I walked around to shop, then I was bothered. But it's OK....folks just want to make a living. I snorkeled out from in font of Blue Cay and the reef there was super nice. I then sat in a hammock on the water....sweet! To go back to the ship, I just walked to the reception and they called me a cab. Riding alone it was $8 back to the ship. Great shore excursion on my own that I totally recommend to everyone!
    View All 2,620 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Harvest Caye
    I walked around Harvest Caye, found a beach chair overlooking the ocean and went swimming with the zip-liners zipping overhead. So much fun! Nice sandy bottom and warm water! I then headed to the pool and did some swimming, very nice and not crowded. Went to the swim up bar, ran into some folks I knew had an enjoyable time having drinks in the pool. Toured the small zoo. Enjoyed everything about this place (except the prices on the drinks)!
    View All 1,262 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Miami
    We were stranded in Miami for 10 hours as our flight was delayed due to snow storms. We took an Uber to South Beach. Walked around, looked at the craft fair there, and then sat down to enjoy dinner at one of the many, many restaurants fronting Ocean Drive. Be aware that the two for one happy hour drinks start at $17. That blew us away. All in all it was a nice escape from the airport terminal for a while!
    View All 2,458 Miami Cruise Port Reviews