Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Joe M

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

We originally chose this specific ship because of the affordability of the balcony rooms. Ignoring the negative reviews we went ahead and hit the button as a balcony room was a must for us.

Pros: The cabin was as good as the pictures showed. It was clean, large, and I seriously wanted to take that showerhead with me. So first impressions were high. We also had an amazing snorkeling excursion in Cozumel. Those are the highlights for our trip.

Cons: Biggest disappointment was the food. Yes as others stated the buffet was repetitive and not fantastic, but we actually could deal with that and the buffet became at least a consistent dining experience for us. What really is bad on the Getaway is the actual dining restaurants. Now for anyone booking, understand this. Taste, Savor, and Tropicana are all listed as separate dining rooms but are all the same restaurants-same menu, same servers, the only difference is the color of the chairs. These are what other cruise ships would call the "dining room". We tried dinner 3 times, lunch once, and it was all bad. Just frozen food reheated. From what I could tell, the food is cooked off ship, frozen, and reheated on the boat, which leads to just horrible results. Nothing met expectations. My wife ordered fried chicken and I asked her if she would rather have that or KFC and she said fast food for sure, it was way worse. For us that was a huge blow to the experience, because we've had great food on other ships. We also ate at the expensive restaurants too, they were slightly better, but still disappointing and not worth the money at all. We tried Le Bistro and the Brazilian steakhouse.

Nickel and dime is definitely a core word of NCL Getaway. I really have to roll my eyes at cruises that don't have complimentary non alcoholic drinks. $3 bucks for a tiny soft drink or tea. We only drank water the entire cruise. Cover charges galore=lame empty experiences.

Also, they allow smoking in the atrium area. Just gross. You couldn't walk through the ship without smelling it. I guess they are trying to be the last Haven for indoor smokers but jeez it detracts from anyone who doesn't like it.

Another disappointment is just a general complaint of the amount of people onboard. It was so crowded that we never got to a show. And contrary to what a lot of people who gave this boat a positive review, many you are unable to reserve a spot for online or onboard. You just have to wait in line for 30-45 minutes before it opens. I guess that makes me picky to some people but I didn't feel like wasting my vacation waiting in line for what I expected after the othe poor experiences would be a so-so show.

Service issues: our room was cleaned once a day, usually late afternoon. I guess that's all I could expect after everything. If you're hoping that they tidy up every time you leave the room, forget it. Tipping did not help the situation. The first few days I kept thinking "wow we keep getting the bad waiters" and by day 4 I just realized that none of them cared. Other cruises have given a feeling of it being a special or unique experience. I just felt like a nuisance on this boat.

While we didn't let these experiences ruin our experience, I felt any good times were despite the cruise, not because of it. For you, either lower expectations or expect to "pay to play" to get an excellent time.

Joe M's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

Snorkeling

Highly recommend!

View All 485 Snorkeling Reviews
Costa Maya

Just a few restaurants, we stayed at the Port.

Joe M