• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2010
Cabin:

As we boarded the Grand Princess we were given a leaflet explaining that there had been a norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise. It outlined the precautionary measures in place and what we had to do. On the 3rd day people started to go down with diarrhea and vomiting. On the 4th night my wife caught 'the bug'.

As requested by the captain, in his daily broadcast, we dialled 911 (at 4 in the morning). We were told that the nurse would be with is within an hour as she had other patients to deal with. She duly came to the stateroom, prescribed Immodium and administered an injection. My wife was forbidden to leave the cabin for 2 days, but, even though I was told I would probably catch it, I was allowed out to do anything I wanted. By noon the worst was over but my wife felt very ill for a further 24 hours.

The 2 day quarantine began at the time of the last attack so she had to wait until noon on the 3rd day before she was allowed out. Twice a day, a specialist cleaning team cleaned the cabin and took away towels and any plates, eating utensils etc. The normal steward was not allowed in until the quarantine period had ended. Twice a day the medical centre called by telephone to check how she was.

previous reviewnext review