3. Britannia
I normally cruise with P&O, especially Britannia and have had some marvellous holidays on her. This was my first Christmas cruise. Therefore, let’s start with the Pros: Initially I was so happy to be back on Britannia, usual B deck after an excellent TUI flight. The food was good and had again booked the Epicurean and Sindhu restaurants, which were up to their usual standard, preceded by a pre-meal drink in the Crow’s Nest Bar. The crew were still excellent; polite, helpful and friendly. Monahar, my cabin steward was very attentive and kept my cabin to the usual high standard of cleanliness, including the balcony. This was my first time sailing with Captain Camby, who was very much a ‘people’s person’ and very eloquent in his speech-making. He also conducted a very good all-round Christmas Day service. A lovely gesture to be given a Christmas gift by P&O on Christmas day. The catering staff worked exceptionally hard dealing with the two sittings on Christmas and New Year’s days. The tours were very well organised with a good selection of choices and us solo travellers were well looked after. The islands were lovely. Now to the Cons: Where do I begin? What a disappointment this cruise was and never again will I do a Christmas cruise with P&O. OMG, the rude, uncouth people. It is true we have a North/South divide and didn’t it show. The pushing and shoving was unbelievable. Far too many families, of generations, who were obviously not used to and did not know how to behave on cruise – or probably generally. (One of the receptionists actually said to me that Jane McDonald has a lot to answer for!) The waiting staff in the Horizon are there to help, not to clear up after your kid drops its food all over the floor – you know who you are – couldn’t you at least have cleared it up yourself? Generally, please keep your kids under control, if you know how to. Normally, the solo travellers are invited to mix, but not on this cruise. It was very lonely and not helped by the fact even on port days, while the 9.00 a.m. coffee sessions were stated in the newsletter, when turning up, nothing was laid on for us, not even a cup and saucer. Whilst the meals were good, the turkey dinner on Christmas night was cold. There are a lot of notifications about reserving sun loungers and that after 30 minutes items would be removed if the loungers weren’t claimed. This was not done and I heard of some people saying loungers had been reserved for over two hours. Why don’t the crew adhere to what they say? Likewise, in Horizon, why didn’t the senior staff send out the people who were underdressed, including walking around with no shoes? This is far from appropriate, but the people themselves should know better, which goes back to my comment about the types of people on board. I presume to P&O it’s all money if they can sell a cabin, without worrying about their reputation. Sadly, this cruise had no atmosphere and the activities were all geared towards families and kids. Drunken teenagers were reeling most nights – where were the parents? Re the entertainments; the shows were good, but the act brought on for Christmas - was that really the best P&O could provide? At least the holiday ended with a good flight back and I will remember the kind crew (thank you) and feel sorry for those who had to put up with abuse from certain passengers, it’s really disgraceful and sad cruising has come to this. For noting; now no trays in the buffet, which was a nuisance when travelling solo and had to ask for a facecloth – these are just two of the cut-backs.

Christmas/New Year Cruise

Now to the

Cons:

MrsBoxerDog’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Britannia price drops

Excellent cabin and well looked after. Shame about neighbours who felt they had to keep slamming their door.