Norwegian Jade Cruise Review

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by EdinaA

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

This was our first experience on Norwegian. It was chosen mainly to perfectly fit over Xmas shutdown and for itinerary, despite overpriced airfares from Sydney to Singapore during busy holiday time.

Overall , it was a very pleasant experience and I would recommend it. I could have done better for the shore excursion value but you pay for convenience.

From start: We arrived to Singapore late at night and had a decent stay in Holiday Inn Express. We left at 11:00am , for MSC embarkation. Embarkation was challenging as NCL does not allocate time slots as other cruise companies, so this took two to three hours.

Signing for Vietnam and Cambodian visa was easy but pricy and I was prepared to pay. We are Australians, so it costed us about A$200 each.

We stayed in a balcony cabin 9112, which was of a reasonable size and clean. However there was a weird tapping noise all night probably from air conditioning. I have requested a fix or a change and we were moved to 10100 before lunch time following day. It was inconvenient to have to pack and move all our stuff but we did have some help from NCL.

Jade was nice, smallish ship, adequate for our needs.

First port was Koh Samui , and we opted for the beach, to have nice relaxing experience. Be aware of dodgy prices for cabs. We went to Nikki Beach Club, the cab fare should be around 300tbht.

For Bangkok, I have booked shore excursion for two of us at A$482.00. I was not able to find anything prior to cruise privately. This was a little overpriced, it was a long but pleasant drive to the Grand Pallace, then nice lunch in a nice hotel then stop at an overpriced souvenir shop. We had overnight at Laem Chabang, we could have gone to Bangkok and stayed overnight and do a bot more sightseeing on our own. Following day we spent in Pattaya , we did shore excursion Pattaya on your own, overpriced US$59 ( same trip at the dock with a local tour $20).

Then we had what was supposed to be two days in Singapore, we haven’t paid for any excursion, we moved around via metro. All you need to do is tap your credit card, no cueing for tickets. It was perfect, such a lovely city. Visited usual hot tourist spot, had lovely lunch at Marina Bay Sands, went to Gardens at night for light show, it was New Years Eve , it was perfect.

Then onto Jade for a massive party.

However the following morning was disappointing as we were sailing, I thought we had until 5:00 pm in Singapore. NCL mislead us in advertising, they did not advertise 5:00am, and 5 hours in a day hardly constitutes a day at port. Anyway we were going back to Singapore at disembarkation so I did not let this ruin my day.

Cambodia was interesting, but so dusty due to massive Government projects. Bathrooms are challenging.... Market too busy, did not feel very safe and looked forward to return to Jade’s. Overpriced shore excursion at A$382.00 for two of us.

Vietnam was a highlight of this trip, beautiful cities, I wish we had more time. Booked through shore excursion , it was excellent.

We did Malaysia KL on our own, we wanted more freetime. If itwasn’t that hot, would be perfect.

Phuket, we took a cab to the beach to enjoy the sunshine. I wish I had more time for shopping during this trip in general. Shops on the ship are very basic, nothing like Celebrity, but it is mainly due to ship size.

Food on the ship was extraordinary. My gluten free needs were taken care promptly with preordering day in advance (thanks to Mary). Staff at the restaurants are amongst friendliest I’ve ever seen. We did not have set time for seating, and walked in every day. Lovely Paola was allocating always beautiful window tables for us and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and ate at the main dining whenever available.

Also, beds were not as comfortable as in the previous cabin and lovely staff gladly replaced the mattresses for a brand new ones.

Internet is slow when everyone is on ship, overpriced for $450. If you don’t have needs wait until you come off the ship and use free wifi elsewhere.

Entertainment was relatively good , some shows are exceptional, some I left at the beginning.

Overall we had a wonderful experience and looking forward to cruise with NCL later this year ( should have taken advantage of Cruise Next !)

EdinaA's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony

Singapore

Beautiful, we spent New Years’Eve here. Moved everywhere with MRT by tapping our cc on and off. Went toall hot tourist spots, had lovely lunch at MarinaBay Sands.

Grand Palace

Pleasant, little bit overpriced. Wish we had more time on our own. Other than the Grand Palace, lovely lunch and a stop in an overpriced souvenir shop there were not much time for anything else.

View All 36 Grand Palace Reviews
Highlights of Silhanoukville

Very dusty , busy, not much to see due to Government projects. Very basic, market was super busy, somehow I felt unsafe.

View All 20 Highlights of Silhanoukville Reviews
Nha Trang

Beautiful beach town, enjoyed beach, meal and massage.

Taste of Penang

Interesting excursion with an unnecessary and unsafe stop to view the fruit stool.

View All 9 Taste of Penang Reviews
Kelang (Kuala Lumpur)

I enjoyed the city, it was beautiful, but too hot.

Koh Samui