Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by #48

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Having cruised for the first time with Norwegian, on the Pearl in June 2019 and getting stranded in Barcelona Spain, due to a failed motor, I would not have sailed Norwegian again. Included in this experience was very poor dining room and guest services. Norwegian offered a generous credit, so, I booked the Norwegian Getaway for their Caribbean Cruise out of New Orleans Jan. 5-12, 2019. Totally different experience!

Although embarkation was slow, they were processing 4,800 guests, the lines kept moving and the staff was very efficient. Once on board, around 1:30 PM, my balcony stateroom was ready and I was able to unpack and start my adventure. I typically start by familiarizing myself with the ship, top to bottom. This ship was recently refurbished, summer of 2019 and it is beautiful, in my top 3 (Princess Regal is my #1).

Having read recent reviews, mostly negative, and based on my recent experience I did not partake on this cruise with high expectations. It ends up that I was blown away. This is in part due to my cruising style. Yes, all of the public rooms are smaller than previous cruise ships, but, there were more of them offering greater diversity both in dining and entertainment. I am an early diner and the reviews referencing long waits and poor service were not my experience. Quite the contrary, customer service was spot on.

Entertainment was diverse and exceptional. Burn the Floor was easily the best, highest energy dance production I have ever seen. AWESOME! So much going on all the time that if you are bored, it is your own fault. Word to the wise, show up 15 minutes early for anything you really want to partake in and MAKE RESERVATIONS!

This is a customary vacation for me and I had been to each of the ports previously. We were denied Jamaica due to high winds and waves, but, the ship pulled the staff, scheduled off, back on duty and went to great lengths to ensure we were entertained and well fed.

I have concluded that the majority of people that write reviews do so due to a gripe they have. Having read previous reviews regarding this ship and sailing I had very low expectations. Please, book this cruise with confidence! The service staff is very good, food was great and diverse (definitely try Cagney's), entertainment was off the charts and your expectations will be met or exceeded.

If you aren't having a good time, there is only one person to blame.

Bon Voyage

#48's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

The stateroom was clean, well maintained and very functional. Yes, the balconies are small, but, not a high priority for me. We had high waves and winds and the cabin did creek a little but, not excessively. It is protected by staterooms above and below, side to side, thus, no unexpected noises. Good value.

Bicycling

Rather tame ride, but, nice opportunity to see the rest of the island. Rum cake was awesome.

View All 10 Bicycling Reviews