3. Viking Star
I saw the December cruise from Rome to Athens advertised in August. It was a good deal so I booked the cruise for my husband and me. We had taken a Viking River Cruise in 2018 and have a Viking Alaska cruise booked for June 2020. Our first ocean cruise was fantastic, despite the fact that we missed the Naples port and our Pompeii excursion due to 65 mph wind and 17 ft seas in Civitavechia. We sailed directly to Sicily on the following morning-definitely the correct decision by our delightful Captain, " a Viking from Norway". The ships are beautifully decorated in clean Norwegian style. The Christmas decorations were beautiful! There is no feeling of being crowded on these ships because there are so many places to "hang out". The staff was fantastic! Service is great in every way and everyone is so genuinely friendly! Our cabin steward, James, saw that my husband uses a C-pap and ordered demonized water for him-without having been asked. We had great service from and great conversations with my husband's favorite bar-tender, Apri, and Margerite, the adorable server who introduced me to a Proscecco and raspberry liqueur drink: Fantastic! And the best part is that Apri is scheduled to be on our Alaska cruise in June! Shore excursions were very good. Tour guides were knowledgeable and spoke good English. The only excursion that disappointed was in Turkey. Not being familiar with the geography, we booked a tour to St. John's Basilica and the Temple of Artemis-not realizing they are outside of the ancient city of Ephesus, so we did not visit Ephesus. Also the last step of the tour w a s to a carpet store, where the sales people were very high pressured! Food was good. Manfredi's and the Chef's Table were very good. I had one of the best burgers I've ever had at the pool grill. I did not think the choices in The Restaurant were as good as on the River Cruise. You could always have steak, but I usually prefer the Regional offerings. Entertainment was fine. We became groupies for Mark, who went entertained in the lounges. The Viking band was very talented and the four young entertainers that did the Abba and Beatles shows were great. I'm not into casinos and lots of shows, so the entertainment was great to me. I liked the port talks before dinner each night on the River cruises better. The Times varied for them on the ocean cruise. The his experts talks were good. There were no lines at demarcation. Going through security leaving and returning to the ship was easy. Again, there were no lines. We love Viking so much that we don't consider taking other cruise lines. Since returning, we have booked a Viking cruise to Australia and New Zealand in January 2021, so we are now eagerly anticipating two cruises. We are also planning to take another Viking River cruise within the next two years.

A wonderful pre-holiday cruise!

Viking Star Cruise Review by Carol Dienhart

Carol Dienhart’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

The cabin was spacious and nicely decorated. We enjoyed the coffee maker that came with the deluxe veranda cabin. We were close to the laundry and that was convenient.