Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by jweston
- Sail Date: December 2019
- Destination: South Pacific
- Cabin Type: Extended Balcony
Once on board it was a pleasurable experience, The ship was completely sold out being a New Years cruise. Our steward and wait staff were amazing, they do so much work for you on the cruise that i think most people take advantage. People forget it's there Job and some people are just plain rude to staff for no reason.
The ship is looking dated, they moved our favorite maitre'd (Dessi) to the Splendor which was disappointing as the one on the spirit you could hardly understand. The entertainment was fun during dinner.
This cruise however was a bit different to the last few cruises:
1. Was disappointed with our cruise director Chloe, we managed to run into her a few times and each time we didn't even get a hello or a smile. On one occasion we were coming to Pharaohs Palace and was about to say hello when she noticed her family coming up the stairs behind us, she completely ignored us as we walked in.
2. Was treated rudely by a staff member in the gaming arcade which was disappointing.
This cruise just seemed a more impersonal, If it wasn't for the stewards and wait staff it would have been the worst cruise we have done with Carnival. Some things Carnival need to work on:
1. Proper attire in the eating areas, the mount of time we say guys with shirts off around the buffet was ridiculous, men with hair bodies leaning over and scooping food also with kids around!
2. We used the sanitiser each time we entered and exited the food area's. Some cruise lines like Disney for instance will not let you into these areas without using it. It's for hygiene purposes especially around food.
3. Not enough things to do on board to give it variety, because we didn't go to MARE we spent 3 days at sea at the start and 3 days at sea coming home, 6 days at sea with the same repetitive things to do is too much, i would have at least preferred another port of call or some other activities on the boat to spice up the days.
4. Guys burger bar, need to monitor the food in the trays, i felt all good until i had a burger there with chips. After that i had stomach cramps for a few days after, perhaps the food can be checked for heating and also if it is out too long and removed.
5. Shore tours are quite expensive, i know you need to make a profit but $80pp for a 20 min glass bottom kayak and snorkel i could have done without the kayak for free is a bit much to ask for. Also some of the tours lacked any type of enjoyment, the turtle day tour in Vila was good day but the hosts were very DRY and food hard to eat.
6. If you have people that are sailing with you WHY would you put one at the back of the boat and the others at the front of the boat? visiting other family was a trek and a half for no reason.
I love cruising with Carnival but this cruise was just not right for the reasons above, i would have loved to enjoy the trip but this time i was a bit disappointed. We may try one of the other cruise providers to see how they stack up. No more cruising for us for at least a couple of years, perhaps we will try again then.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Isle of Pines (New Caledonia)Just snorkelled around and enjoyed the time on the beach.View All 247 Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) Cruise Port Review
Glass Bottom KayakingNot worth the $$$, 20 mins kayak and then you snorkel when you can snorkel for free, save your $$$ and just snorkel.View All 4 Glass Bottom Kayaking Reviews
Port VilaWas okay, great to see the turtles but the hosts were very dry, no smiles and not laughter.View All 13,760 Port Vila Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Port Vila Cruise Port Review