3. Koningsdam
I chose this trip because the ABC islands are really nice to visit. We have been there four times. I also wanted a cruise for a friend who was new to cruising. In sum: -food especially the sushi at lunch was good. But the station closed at 1400 and our tours ended just a few minutes past this time. Other lunch stations on the Lido stayed open until 1430. -breakfast food was good but it was cold. The server warmed them up for me. -The first gala night tenderloin had no flavor. I complained - we had a visit from the Matre'd or and assistant every night - and the steak on the second gala night was much better. The chimichuri was really good with extra sauce. The salmon was the best ever. It was properly grilled on the outside and barely cooked through on the inside. The spinach and rice made this my go to meal for most nights. -it helps to be specific with the waiters. If you don't want your food slathered in gloppy sauce, just say so, and they will accommodate you. -deserts were good and they thought it was funny when I wanted them for breakfast. -one shore excursion got cancelled and we got our money back. Most of the shore excursions were booked privately as they were better and cheaper than the ship tours. -The string and piano quintet was really good. The BBC nature show was excellent. I was hoping to see it again. We could not get into one of the dance recitals as the theatre was full. The money/blockchain presentation was ok but the cruise director did not explain blockchain correctly. There was no opportunity for me to correct her mistake. The final dance recital was ok but it was not a form that I like. The dancers were competent and the musical instrument theme was clever but it was not for me. -there were no port talks nor dance classes. -The towel animals were not as good as Carnival. They were thrown out every day. On Carnival, they stayed until the last cruise day. The balcony was a great place to dry clothes from the snorkelling. -I discovered bitter lemon. I had a non-alcoholic beverage card and mixing soda water with bitter lemon is my new go to drink. -The balcony suite was fine. I had a place to dry my gear. The internet was terrible. The big dealbreaker for a future cruise with HAL was the bad bad internet. We were on this same cruise in 2017 and the internet was nowhere near as bad. bought the highest internet plan and I found out to my disappointment, that my plan has the same speed as the low end plans. The plans are differentiated by the total daily volume - 500 MB down to 250 MB for the low end plan - and bandwidth throttling does not kick in until you hit that ceiling. As a result, email would not work on sea days because of these IT design mistake. I am an IT guy and I am horrified at the stupidity. I explained the internet issue to the IT person onboard. She did not understand what I was saying and did nothing to deal with the issue. We were on Carnival in December. I bought the top plan and the internet was fabulous. HAL is owned by CCL. Surely there should only be one IT group for all the CCL member companies. The idiots working for HAL need to be fired. Let me explain the stupidity by an analogy. The plan is like everyone onboard having a suite. But if you don't pay the suite rate, you only get to stay in the room for 12 hours a day. These clowns are lucky they do not work for me.

Good food - good locations - bad internet ruined the trip

Koningsdam Cruise Review by gandc01

In sum:

-breakfast food was good but it was cold. The server warmed them up for me.

-there were no port talks nor dance classes.

-The balcony suite was fine. I had a place to dry my gear.

The internet was terrible.

gandc01’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB
The cabin was ok. The balcony allowed us to dry clothes and snorkelling gear.
Sun Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins