3. Harmony of the Seas
Having traveled on two other Oasis Class ships, we had pretty high expectations for the cruise. Let's start with the positives: Embarkation/Disembarkation Absolutely the best I have ever seen. We arrived at 10:30 after parking in the attached garage and leaving off our luggage with the porters. We absolutely no line downstairs, they checked our passports and Sail Pass, went through security, headed upstairs where someone checked our information with their tablet and were told the ship was ready for immediate boarding. We were sitting in the Central Park area by 10:45. Amazing! Leaving, we chose to carry off our luggage. We headed down to deck 5 at 6:50 and were in our car and on the road by 7:10. How can you beat that! Food/Service We ate in the Main Dining room 5 nights, one night in the Solarium, and once at 150 Central Park. I thought the food was above average and the service was very good. Only complaint is sometime the food didn't arrive hot, but I understand with the number of dishes being served, it can take a bit. I do like my food very hot. Our travel agent surprised us with the 150 Central Park meal and we ordered both Beef Wellington for Two and Lobster Thermadore along with Fried Cheesecake for Dessert. Entertainment Really liked Grease and could have seen it a second time. Harmony in my opinion is too dependent on weather/sea conditions for its major production shows. The fine line diving show was cancelled several times and we never got to see Columbus as it too was cancelled due to rough seas. That was disappointing. We walked out of the "1812" skating show. While the skaters were good, the whole show was really quite a mashup and really had no consistent theme. We did not enjoy Fine Line and left early. Shame as the divers were so talented. Hated the spinning person prior to the show starting and the hanging acrobatic person seemed so out of place for basically a diving show. Upsells Prior to leaving we received 3 different chances to bid to upgrade our room. We never bid and they never changed their minimum offer. Last bid was just 3 days before we sailed, yet the ship claimed that they were sailing full. I really doubt that. During the week crew were always walking around to get people to sign up for the specialty restaurants. I didn't inquire the price, but we did have an offer on our table in the main dining room to add surf and turf to our meal for just $10.00. We are not big drinkers and our onboard credit from our travel agent paid for the automatic gratuities and we wound up with a $60.00 refund to our credit card. Passengers Very well behaved. We were traveling with quite a few people from Brazil. My wife commented on how they all look like models which has prompted me to double up on my post cruise diet! Excursions Costa Maya - we went to Maya Chan. Lovely people, good food, drinks were sort of watery. Wife did not like the beach. There was no seaweed on beach, but some in the water near the shore. Not sure if we will return. (we are sailing on the NCL Getaway in March with a similar itinerary.) Roatan - we went on the ship sponsored tour to the "chocolate factory". A very relaxing 3 hours and everyone on the tour (mostly young people) seem to enjoy. I was a little put off that four separate areas on the tour (the gardens, the van driver, the kitchen, and the chocolate making guide) all were shilling for tips. I expected to tip the driver, but was surprised that each part of the tour wanted their own cut. Cozumel - we went to Nachi Cocum. Another great visit. Just what I expected and close to perfect each time we go there. Will return in March Coco Key - brrrrr....too cold a day. We sat for a couple of hours and then returned to ship for lunch. Only a handful of people braved the water. Philosophical Comment We spoke at length with a young millennial couple which are the future of cruising. They have been on several lines and cruise a few times a year. We both agreed that the entertainment on ships are getting stale. How many art auctions, newlywed games, trivia nights and pool side contests do you really need to see? They were very interested in what Virgin comes up with for they new ship and we are also. I think if Virgin is very successful, it may force the mainstream lines to rethink what they offer in terms of entertainment. After all, if you've been to Cozumel several times before, then you need something else to attract you to shell out good money for another cruise.

Same Old Same Old