Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by sovereignsea

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Signature Suite with Verandah

The cruise was paid for by my father in law, so we had no choice, but we were pleased with the entire experience.

We arrived around 11:30 am and very little waiting was required at Port Everglades, although the check in staff inside the terminal subcontracted out were a bit rude/brusque.

The ship was spacious and clean. I was a bit concerned that one of the adipose rear propellers wasn't working, but the captain was reassuring that the chances of us getting stranded at sea were very remote, and that there were emergency plans in place if that unlikely event were to occur. Unfortunately, I didn't get the information from the captain until much later in the cruise. The captain's message would be better to get on the second or third day, I think.

Our cabin was able to sleep comfortably my husband, I and my teen. It had a remarkable sleeper sofa that turned into a bed without taking up floor area.

The dining options were superb. We had a couple of nights where we splurged on the restaurants that charge extra. In the future, I would be very satisfied with just the standard dining room seating without paying the extra money.

The entertainment was professional and very classy. Something for any sophisticated taste: classical, blues band, piano bar, modern dance.

I didn't participate in many activities. I took the cocktail mixing classes, which were a lot of fun. The couples massage was a rip-off: $355! I thought it was $170 for 2! All of our sense of relaxation was erased when they tried to upsell us on skin products and booking for additional appointments.

because I was part of a family reunion and had enough things to do between my books, puzzles, family and excursions.

The service never disappointed us, except I would have appreciated a little salsa or hot sauce with the room service omelette which was a little bland.

I went on the Damajagua Falls excursion in the Dominican Republic, which was fantastic! The water wasn't too cold and the scenery was beautiful. Both my husband and teen daughter did all the high jumps and slides, whereas I, suffering from a fear of heights took the sturdy ladders down (the "chicken" routes). Part of the issue was I was feeling fragile since I sprained my ankle on the last step of the new concrete bridge that you walk across before the beginning of the hike.

Our snorkel excursion on Grands Turks/Caicos was cancelled due to heavy seas. We were refunded our money promptly.

The tender to Half Moon Cay really freaked me out, because the rough waves splashed onto the lower deck, and the ferry was so full of people. Fortunately, the trip was short. Our family of 14 shared a villa at Half Moon Cay, which was a very nice experience. Although, I used the included snorkel equipment, I didn't see any fish in the swimming area in front of the villa (the fish were probably scared of the humans). The villa had a small refrigerator filled with shrimp cocktails (but no spicy red sauce), fresh fruit, drinks and chips, a kitchen sink, large table set with tablecloths, napkins, etc, plenty of seating, plenty of foam floating lounge/rafts, a Jacuzzi that could comfortably contain 6 people. Getting off the tender back onto the boat freaked me out more, because the boat was moving up and down so much. Trying to get back on the large boat from the tender was like being in a video game--you had to time it, crouch down and run fast so you wouldn't knock your head.

We traveled with our teen, who went up to the teen room a couple of times, but nobody was there/it was not open. She didn't complain about the cruise despite its lack of activities specifically for teens, because we bought her the internet package which kept her happy, except for the last sea day before disembarkation when the internet wasn't working properly.

sovereignsea's Full Rating Summary

Signature Suite with Verandah

Very spacious. Very comfortable. All the modern conveniences. Larger bathroom than my bathroom at my home!

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)

We had a delightful excursion to the waterfalls. See my larger review

Grand Turk

boring when there are no excursions available

Everglades Tour

We didn't see many alligators in the wild on the airboat: just 2. I also felt guilty about buying a plastic rain poncho at the gift shop at the last minute and then throwing it away. More damage to the environment... However, the lady who narrated the bus tour from the port to the air boat tour was very knowledgeable. I learned a lot about the successful native american tribe from the area.

View All 149 Everglades Tour Reviews