3. Celebrity Equinox
I am a 58 year old Type 2 insulin dependent diabetic and this trip report is specifically about my experience as a diabetic on my recent cruise on the Celebrity Equinox. This was my first Celebrity cruise, I’ve cruised with Carnival, RCCI and NCL. We(DH63, DD21, myself) were on Deck 9 in a mid-ship balcony cabin(not Aqua or suite). I brought my own travel sharps container but I believe you can ask your cabin steward for one. Oceanview Cafe Breakfast - We ate breakfast every morning in the Oceanview Cafe. I went to the Omelette station every day and also went to the make your own Muesli station and had cottage cheese and shredded melons, there was only berries on the last 2 days. I was so impressed that he crew member who took the egg and omelette orders remembered that my daughter always liked her eggs over hard and would ask me daily if she were coming to breakfast and if he should put her order in! I wish they had berries every day as melons and pineapple tend to spike my blood sugar. We had no problems finding seating outside. I can’t really comment on sugar substitutes for coffee or teas because I drink my coffee with only a splash of cream and I drink my tea black. I wish they offered a flavored coffee option at the Oceanview Cafe. Oceanview Cafe Lunch - We only ate lunch a few times in the Oceanview Cafe because we weren’t really hungry after having big breakfasts! The salad bar had sufficient offerings and there was a wide variety of other hot options. My daughter who is a very picky non-adventurous eater was very happy with the buffet! Main Dining Room - We ate dinner in the MDR every night. We did not make reservations and had to wait no more than 30 minutes each night around 7PM, which we didn’t mind because we enjoyed getting a pre-dinner drink at the Martini Bar. I appreciated the fact that they had symbols under each item noting if something was vegetarian, healthy, no-sugar added, gluten-free, etc. I thought the food was the best MDR food we’ve ever had in terms of quality and variety. For entrees I mostly had whatever was the daily catch but I also had prime rib, lobster tail and beef tournedo - all perfectly prepared. The waitstaff was very accommodating with my sides substitution requests - I would substitute high carb items with lower carb items that I would see offered with other entrees such as - parsnip puree vs. mashed potatoes or additional vegetables vs. pasta or rice. I appreciated that there was at least 1 No-Sugar Added dessert each night. There was always at least a No-Sugar Added Ice cream and was so happy that it was not just vanilla or coffee flavored! Cafe Al Bascio - They had a No-Sugar Added cookie option daily and they offered a sugar -free Vanilla flavor shot. Martini Bar - I ended up splurging every night here because most of the martini’s had juices in the ingredients. The staff was wonderful and so entertaining! Spa Cafe - I grabbed a Salmon Salad and Caprese Salad for lunch and thought they were delicious! I wish nutrition information was available for the food and drinks such as calories and carbs per serving. I am happy to report that although I splurged daily and I ate and drank much more than I normally do at home and did not go to the gym once, my fasting blood sugars were always in the 80’s, I only gained 1 pound and my A1C was not affected because I had it checked the day after I got home and it came back 4.8! In addition, I use a Cpap machine and had to ask our cabin steward for an extension cord due to the lack of outlets near the bed. She also provided a jug of distilled water. Captain Tasos and Cruise Director Dan and team really made our cruise memorable and we look forward to cruising with Celebrity again!

A Type 2 Diabetic's View of the Equinox

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Laura61

Laura61’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1B
Mid-ship location was great, a couple of levels below the pool deck so we didn't have any noise issues, not too far from elevators and stairs. Couch did not fold out, so a third person would not have a full-size bed. Not enough outlets and no USB ports. There were 2 outlets in the vanity and 1 outlet in the bathroom.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins