Azura Cruise Review

Azura Cruise Review by Carrib traveller

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

We chose this cruise because it ticked a number of boxes with regards to islands visited, we boarded the ship on the 27th December 2019, the boarding process was very efficient.

The first issue we had was the aircon did not work in the cabin, we informed our cabin boy and also reception, it took two further days and a number of calls and requested before I had to insist someone visited to the cabin and repaired the system.

The cabins are typical cruise ship small and the bathrooms are very small however we have cruised before so it was as expected.

The itinerary was good and apart from the dropping Grand Turk for no real given reason the islands visited were good and as expected, we took a number of tours which were all very good in particular the champagne and lobster on Granada which was probably the best trip of this kind I have ever been on.

The overall entertainment on board was poor apart from the live music bands that were generally very good.

We are not heavy drinkers however we choose to purchase the unlimited drinks package for convenience, however it does restrict the type of drinks (particularly in wine) you can have and they are generally of a lesser quality than if you purchase direct, overall I doubt it cost any more or saved ourselves money but it did restrict the choice of drinks so I would not advise it unless you intend to drink 15 pints of Stella every day (which many did)

The bar service on the boat is appalling, the staff in 90% of cases have contempt for the passengers, service is slow and very unprofessional.

The quality of food served in all the restaurants was average particularly for a cruise ship, I would rate it as a poor 2 star all inclusive resort and certainly not what we have seen on other cruise ships.

On most days and evenings there was no room on the decks, the ship feels very overcrowded and also very intimidating, the open decks are a permanent drinking frenzy and I watched numerous people downing pints of Stella like it was going out of fashion, a number of the older or more refined people on the ship told me they stopped going out on the decks as it frightened them.

The tables were dirty and rarely cleared of glasses, the whole of the outside including all the areas around the pools are smoking areas, there was heavy smoking and drinking on most tables, also people smoking in the food areas outside and the children’s area.

In my opinion the ship is no more than a very expensive booze cruise.

If this is the new target audience for cruise ships we shall have been on our last cruise, I would certainly never recommend this this ship (or P&O) to anyone.

Carrib traveller's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

The cabin was small however this seems to be the norm on cruise ships.

We were at the front of the ship which was quiet.

The bed was very comfortable and a good size.

There was no where to sit in the cabin apart from one corner chair in front of the fridge.

The balcony had 2 reclining chairs and a footstool plus a small table.

The tv was very small, there are movies to purchase on it plus itv and bbc.

The bathroom was extremely small, I had to use the shower cubicle with the curtain back as I could not turn round in it.

St. Maarten

We visited the beach on the boat transfers which are good, the town and beach was overcrowded though are there were 6 cruise ships in at the time.

Tortola

Excellent catamaran trip with lunch and drinks on the beach.

Grenada

Best day our ever, great boat crew and excellent lunch would recommend to everyone.

Carrib traveller