3. Norwegian Escape
Sat to Sat: day at sea, Roatan Honduras, Harvest Caye Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Our 7th cruise, 1st on NCL. Overall, we loved our experience. The Escape was beautiful. For a huge ship, no issues, like no series elevator waits. The Freebies are what convinced us to give NCL a try. It was worth the change. We are both in our 50s, we eat out a lot but not upscale. I am including comments that might help out other vegans. As soon as you can, contact the head chef at Garden Cafe. Mohammed showed me what was vegan or not, that there is always an Indian option that includes vegan. Wish I had I talked to The Taste hostess the night before wanting to eat there, they could have subbed out the pasta, etc. After the Meet & Greet, the executive chef made sure they sent me vegan chocolate covered strawberries! Freebies - WiFi (good coverage), 3 Specialty dining (all good but would not be worth the upcharge), $50 Shore Excursions credit, Open Bar, and the biggie: Airfare. We did not take the Free Kids opions, we have enough at home. Teppanyaki- Chefs were a lot fun! Steak was tender and delicious, rest of the food ok. Vegan: grateful for the special meal, also ok (soft tofu doesn't grill). Moderno Churrascaria - favorite. Steak was not as good as Teppanyaki, but close enough and he enjoyed the variety. Salad bar for a vegan and non-vegan was amazingly extensive with so much to choose from and the host took the time to show me what I could eat. La Cucina Italian - least favorite for both. He got the 5-course meal of salad, meat pizza, ravioli, salmon and dessert. Not bad, just not great. Vegan: preordered the night before, pizza that had no sauce or flavor and very few toppings; the pasta & sauce was tasteless, and even the salad was wilted. Vegan should definitely skip this place. As moderate drinkers, the drinks package would not have been worth an upcharge BUT we very much loved that we were able to have some drinks without keeping track of the cost. And it's good stuff I.e. Patron, no mystery brands. This freebie will be a factor is future cruise planning. Airfare - sitting at Miami's airport until 5:40 with earlier flights available sucked. Both the to and from connecting flights had 43 mins layovers then with the Miami leg being late, we were surprised to make it. If I could work with the flight arrangers with paying extra or something to avoid the stress, that would have helped make this a better trip. Activities - did not do the waterslides, or play basketball and mini golf but we loved the high ropes! Both fun yet terrifying. They even had a mini version for the little ones. Could have upped the temp on the hot tubs. We saw a few of the movies, wish they could have done more. The games in the Atrium were fun to watch. Some nights we wanted to just veg in the room but with only 1 movie channel and 1 tv channel (we wanted to avoid real world news) I would like to have had more options. Excursions - Roatan Honduras. There is nothing to do at the port, we were done in 10 minutes, the beach next the ship is now gone. Sorry we did not sign up with the ship or walk out to the gauntlet of taxis. Harvest Caye Belize, big beach, bring money. We did the coral reef snorkel with the ship. You are taken out on a small boat, then in small groups of 8 you follow a knowledgeable guide for about an hour. Not as much fish as we have seen elsewhere but the coral was amazing. Costa Maya - Hidden Maya waterpark and zipline purchased through the ship. Probably could have taken a taxi. So much fun on the zip lines over 3 main courses. We are not really waterslide kind of people but it was so much fun even if I might have gotten an enema. Twice. I did bruise my backside but it was worth it. There are pools and a ride over to the beach but the weather was cloudy and sprinkles so skipped them. Cozumel - a storm was coming in so we skipped the snorkel and opted just to wander about town. Lots of shops, restaurants. Not sure why the ferry was late returning 400 of our shipmates but they waited the hour for them. Biggest advantage when buying from the cruise line. We arrived at 2pm so no lines or issue on Embarking. Disembarking was odd enough to cause grumbling when staff sent some people to shorter line, later staff sent others to longer way around the luggage. 99% of the crew was very friendly. We could see some passengers were not happy with the 'washy-washy' hand cleaning but having contracted the flu (?) on board a previous cruise, I am all for it. The Next Cruise people came off like smarmy used car dealers, we decided not to put down a deposit on another tour.

Great Escape to the Western Caribbean

karen4kc2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BE
Balcony 15th floor. very nice except for maybe they were moving furniture at the restaurant above us during the night. Beds were not too hard or soft. Typical space for a ship cabins. We loved balconies and if there isn't much of a price difference, we will always opt for it. Glad we did.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins