3. Celebrity Summit
Our first cruise: Celebrity Summit. I had contacted Celebrity with concerns and as of Oct '04 (five months later) have not heard back from them. Poor customer service! First, we paid for the Concierge Class, not just for the balcony, but for the service. It was our stateroom attendant's first cruise and he was clueless. I spent my own vacation time trying to educate him that champagne should not be left on the small table for three days after being opened. He would not remove it. As far as room service goes, I had looked forward to picking up the phone and getting shrimp cocktails in the afternoon. Three out of four times I called, I was told that shrimp was being offered at dinner and that it would not be available for us in the afternoon? Then why print it on the menu? Canapes that were left in the rooms were room temperature, not a good thing for caviar and cream cheese. Who knows how long they had been warm? There were dark stains on the room carpet. We had to repeatedly ask for our promised assortment of pillows to choose from. Flowers in a vase were wilted when we came on board and were probably not changed for the next occupants when they arrived. Our toilet seat had peeling paint and was not repaired or replaced. I would never recommend the highly touted Concierge Class to anyone. Get a room with a balcony on the deck below,it would be a much better value. We had dinner in the Normandie, the highlight of the cruise ship. Simon was the cruise director and lived up to his reputation of being entertaining. Belize: took a wonderful bus tour to Xunantunich Mayan ruins, arranged by the cruise line. The tour guide was a former school teacher and kept the wanderers in line and was very informative. It was a long ride, several hours there, lunch at a local motel restaurant, and the long ride back. The local Belizians do not have indoor plumbing, and I was astonished to find clean, flushing toilets at the entrance to the ruins. The long climb uphill is steep, temp hot and the humidity high; need to be healthy to do this trip. There were local citizens, positioned in small covered stalls near the river raft after we came down from the ruins, selling hand made goods that were the best quality we saw in Belize. They were clean and sweet: glad to do business with them. We purchased hand carved small replicas of the exposed Xunantunich ruins, dated and signed on the back by the artist. Roatan, Honduras: We did not take an organized tour here. Rather, we disembarked and walked on a muddy road to the cameo shop proclaimed to be wonderful by the cruise "shopping director." First, we were flanked by two children who were not in school at that time, and knew we were being eyed by adults, gave us a very uneasy feeling. We walked in the middle of the road, walked very fast, protected our pockets, tipped the children when we arrived at the cameo shop, and were relieved to be there without our throats being slit. We have traveled the world and not felt this unsafe anywhere else. The cameo shop was not even interested in talking to and doing business with the few of us who had checked them out. We met up with some strangers who also felt threatened, and collectively hailed a cab to take us back to the tenders. We had the cab driver take us down through the main street of Roatan where we witnessed a drunken man beating a large, bloody pig in front of a house, a dog strangled with thin wire and left to die on the sidewalk, and the stench of raw sewage. It was a horrible experience. Some of our dinner companions had prearranged tours for the opposite side of the island and had a good day. We would certainly say this: ignore what the cruise "shopping director" tells you is a good place to check out, and do not go anywhere in Roatan unless you are with a tour guide of good repute. As for Celebrity, we went to the Concierge Desk and reported our experience. So did a handful of other cruisers when we were at the desk. Sill have never heard one word about it back from Celebrity. We actually felt that the shopping recommendation put us in mortal danger. Aqua Spa: Okay, but I can get a better massage at the local gym. The Aqua Spa Cafe was excellent, perhaps the best every-day dining spot on the ship. Beautifully presented fresh fruit and salmon, salmon, and more salmon. Public areas were clean, expect for the last two days when the crew seemed excited about leaving the ship for their time off. Towards the end things got smudgy. As far as the ship's shops are concerned: the jewelry shop manager was overheard complaining he was not being paid in a timely manner by management... the merchandise in all the shops seemed fingered and not fresh. Was not refreshed or rotated. Would I do another cruise with Celebrity? No. Would I do another cruise with a different cruise line? Yes. This probably seems harsh, but we have stayed at five star hotels, and the Summit's Concierge Class seemed more like a worn Ramada Inn. And where is the Customer Service piece of this cruise line?

Summit - Western Caribbean