3. Viking Orion
We choose this cruise because of the pricing and the inclusion of the flight in the price. It was a trip of lifetime made within our reach. Also, Viking is a “no” children cruise line something we prefer. The ship is beautiful (cabin sufficient, clean and comfortable. Loved the sunrise in Sydney from our balcony), food very good (we loved Manfredi’s), shows “cruise ship” entertainment, crew absolutely wonderful. Embarkation and disembarkation easy and well organized. One issue was the “description” of excursions in Indonesia. Lombok was listed as an excursion to Senggigi where you can stroll beaches, explore the shops and business along High St. etc....We were driven to a large chain hotel, beach resort. There were no shops, no businesses. Your choices were to walk the beach, swim or each in their restaurant. The Komodo NP was great however it was over 100 degrees F and 90% humidity. Many people were not prepared for the hike. There were no rest stations along the way with water or seating for people. The staff however were sitting in shaded area and some actually offered their seats to those struggling. Needs to be better planned (taking weather into consideration) or described. I don’t think people understood “demanding.” Also, if you have traveled with Viking before you expected each excursion to have different level available. Other excursions were very informative and fun. I would like to have had more time in the embarkation city, Bali and disembarkation city of Sydney. We did stay an additional couple of days in Sydney on our own since the cost under Viking was about 5x that of what we could do on our own. My issues are not with the cruise but with the planning and Viking Air. They did not seem to have any idea what had and had not been done. We paid the extra amount to do reservations early, no one seemed to know that (travel agent issue?). We came into Bali just after midnight and were told we would be picked up by Viking and taken to a hospitality suite to rest and refresh before going to the ship later in the day. After not receiving a confirmation for the hotel, etc. I called again. No one knew anything about that and we were told we would have to take care of that...after a conversation with a supervisor, etc. we were told again were would be picked up and taken to the Sofitel Hotel. Still no confirmation received. I called the day before our trip to make sure all was set only to find out we were being picked up by Viking but would be taken to the pier to await or ship...3 women on a pier at 1:00am awaiting embarkation! Seriously! After a long discussion, a call back and another after hours call, the transportation and hotel were confirmed and paid by Viking. All went smoothly from there. I don’t know if I would use Viking Air again even though air being included is what made the trip affordable since it was an issue from start to finish. My previous working with Viking had always been so smooth and easy. I will say everyone we spoke with were very nice and wanted to help so not sure what happened once the calls were disconnected! I truly enjoy Viking adventures and yes would travel with them again and hopefully will do that again in the near future. Thank you for a wonderful, unforgettable adventure of a lifetime!

Wonderful Cruise

Viking Orion Cruise Review by Bkemlein

Bkemlein’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

Cabin was nice. Karla did a great job taking care of us. Room was always clean, always had clean towels and supplies. We were not in the room much, you shouldn’t be. Size was good and loved the balcony.