Viking Orion Cruise Review

Amazing Journey

Viking Orion Cruise Review by George I

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand

We chose this cruise because it encompassed both my husband's bucket list of the Komodo Dragons on Komodo Island and my bucket list of snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef. All the other stops were the cherries on the sundae.

Komodo Island was rough, dry and dusty. It was exactly what we were told to expect. We were able to observe five of the dragons at a watering hole. We, also, saw a couple of juvenile lizards along with other species that are indigenous to the island.

Our guides had our safety uppermost in their minds but also to give us a good experience. Very knowledgeable and answered all questions.

The two snorkeling adventures that we were able to attend were far beyond anything that I could have imagined. Both snorkeling boats were comfortable and the crews were experienced in handling all comers from the most qualified scuba divers to the beginner snorkeler. I brought back so many pictures of vibrant corals and fish. Couldn't click the camera or turn my head fast enough.

We went on many of the included excursions and found the guides to have a true love of their city or region.

George I's Full Rating Summary

Komodo Island

Guides pointed out all the plant, insect and animal species as we walked. Got to the pool that had the Dragons. Amazing.

Barrier Reef

The first snorkeling excursion. Didn't know what to expect. The ships crew were experienced with recreational snorkelers and I felt very comfortable going into the water. Amazing experience.

View All 27 Barrier Reef Reviews
Thursday Island

Got off the ship because this was a port in-between to days at sea. Had a beer and lunch at a local bar. Enjoyed talking with the vendors that were at the port and hearing about their island.

Jumping Crocodiles

The guide in the motor coach, kept up a running commentary of all the interesting things around Darwin while we were going to the river. The company that ran the excursion was great. The crew knew the crocodiles that were coming up to the boat and after feeding them, there was a flying demonstration of the Fire Birds. Enjoyed the day.

View All 20 Jumping Crocodiles Reviews
Whitsundays (Airlie Beach, Hamilton Island)

Another crew that was experienced with recreational snorkelers and I had a wonderful experience.

Australia Zoo

Our guide was excellent. Pointing out interesting areas as we were riding to the zoo. She made sure all of us knew where we were supposed to be for the Crocodile show, lunch and the bus back to port.

The zoo is just an amazing experience. We got to hold a koala and have our picture taken with it. I was most interested in seeing the animals that are found only in Australia. I was, also, impressed with the zoo employees. Their willingness to go the extra pace to make sure we had a good experience.

View All 12 Australia Zoo Reviews