3. Carnival Fascination
All in all this cruise was OK. We were originally booked on the Horizon but hurricane Dorian had other plans for us so we rebooked on the Fascination simply for the ports. We had sailed this ship before and we really liked it. It's smaller and older but it's not bad. Could use some freshening up here and there. We booked because of the ports and not for the ship. Sailed out of San Juan, check-in was mostly easy. Had to wait outside for about 30 minutes and it was a little rainy but we weren't complaining. We were in a junior suite (V15) so we had priority check in. Cabin: The cabin was about the same size as a standard balcony on most other Carnival ships. The shower was bigger which was really nice. There's plenty of storage in the cabin and the motion activated light under the desk was great for night time visits to the bathroom! The lighted closets are also a plus! The location of this cabin was great because it was a 30 second walk to the smoking section and maybe another 30 seconds to the pool. There aren't too many cabins on this deck so the noise was fairly minimal. It was clean and comfortable. Food: The food quality has definitely gone down over the years but we had decent meals with good portions. Nothing stood out as amazing but nothing was really so bad that it deserves mention. Desserts were delicious! Had very good salads as well! We prefer shared seating but we had anytime dining due to the fact that we booked 3 weeks before sailing. The line to get in was nuts! It was like that every night and not fun. The hostess was rude every time we encountered her. We did not care for her attitude. I really wish we got her name but we didn't. We really enjoyed the waiters we had on the first night and asked the 2nd night if we could possibly be seated in their area or to sit at a shared table. We got a firm no before my husband could even finish his sentence. She barked at us that we would have a table for 2 and that was that. We were very polite and didn't make any demands. Not sure what her problem was. Our booking stated the suite guests have priority seating and that was a big fat lie. The tables for 2 are so close together that it might as well be a table for 4 or 6! It was ridiculous. Many other diners we talked also preferred shared seating and hated the set up as much as we did. The wait staff were awesome and made up for the rude tempered angry faced hostess. We booked the Chef's Table and LOVED it! Did it a few times on other ships as well as other lines. Well worth the charge. Prior to dining they sent us a questionnaire (for allergies, and food dislikes) in our cabin where I advised I don't eat veal or lamb and they made special dishes for me. Everything was delicious. Visiting the galley was really neat. The service was good but we only got one glass of wine...all the other times we did Chef's Table it just kept coming and coming. Not complaining, just an observation. My husband loved Guy's Burgers and we both loved the burrito stand. Amazing!! Ports of call were fantastic. We skipped St. Thomas due to weather but they added on Dominica which was a nice surprise. We were going to miss St. Kitts due to weather as well but they added it on the end of the cruise which was also a nice surprise. Some wanted the extra sea day but we were happy with it. Tired but happy! Pool deck could get crowded and there were chair hogs but it wasn't so bad that you couldn't find a seat. The hot tubs were often crowded so we never bothered with them. Didn't go to any of the shows as it isn't our thing. Enjoyed the guitar player in the atrium while we waited in line to get to dinner. Overall it was a nice cruise. Sail for the ports and not the ship. Probably wouldn't sail on this ship again unless it gets a major overhaul. Sailing out of San Juan isn't too bad but remember English is not the first language and everything is in Spanish and English on the ship because so many passengers are from beautiful Puerto Rico. I was often stopped by Spanish only speaking passengers thinking I was also Spanish speaking. I speak Italian so I managed. It was lots of fun meeting new friends for Puerto Rico! We all had great laughs as our cultures are very similar. Thanks to Carnival for a good cruise.

Fascination Cruise

Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by seanugget

All in all this cruise was OK.

My husband loved Guy's Burgers and we both loved the burrito stand. Amazing!!

seanugget’s Full Rating Summary