Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by mksantabarbara

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom

My wife and I had the urge to use the ship board credit coupons we had purchased previously before they were due to expire. We would have one more credit coupon left after this cruise, we have decided to let it expire and not coming back to this cruise ship/line.

The ship was average, it lacked a lot of the recreational amenities that other newer ships in other cruise lines could offer on their ships.

The embarkation registration was segregated into even and odd numbers. Many earlier arrivals were not made aware of it until they had waited in line and ready to be called to the front counter for processing.

The service on board, except for the cabin steward, was terrible or just average at best. The food at the Taste and Savor dining rooms were terrible and not meeting my personal expectation in comparison to other cruise ships. We had to resort to special dining such as the 'Ocean Blue' and 'Cagney's' for our dinners. The Ocean Blue and Cagney's were our favorite restaurants on this ship.

The 'Le Bistro' French Restaurant was the biggest disappointment in my history of dining experience on board of any cruise ships I had been traveled in the past years. The service was bad with a grumpy looking waiter who looked too tired to be working that day. I ordered a 20+ oz. T-bone steak special and to be cooked 'medium-rare' as my preference. The steak came out to be so rare(almost raw) that I could not eat most of it. The matter was brought to the waiter's attention and he opted not to return back to our table. The waiter's assistant came to fill in the void instead. My wife and I decided not to stay any further either.

I began to question: Some of these cooking staff came from a country where they revered 'cows' in their cultural foundation. And how would they feel, personally and emotionally if they were forced to cook a piece of steak(one of the best cut from a cow's carcass) on the grill and to be served to the diner!

On an Asian Themed Evening at the Buffet Restaurant deck - the restaurant manager could not differentiate a ramen noodle from rice noodle or green bean noodle. He was serving Asian(Chinese) food, but I could not find a packet of chopsticks and soy sauce anywhere at the dining area. Everything served was imitational Asian food, they lacked the taste, quality and the presentation of how Asian food should be served. I asked the manager if he had ever been to an Asian(Chinese/Japanese/Thai) restaurant before. The answer was a flat 'NO'!

In conclusion, I am inclined to believe that the quality of personnel working on board and how they interacted with the passengers are the factors that would entice people to come back. Or they would drift away for other cruise ships after their first or second trip with this cruise company.

mksantabarbara's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom

Room was okay, quite average. Balcony was a waste of money, we could hardly use it due to the weather.

Old Town of Tallinn

Our first walk down the memory lanes when we were reading story books about old towns, cobbled stone roads and castles in Europe.

View All 189 Old Town of Tallinn Reviews
Berlin

Very nice tour and tour guide. I finally. realized what the word 'Cold War' meant in those turbulent days when it was a divided Germany.

City Tour

Average tour, the tour guide was too tired to share her energy with us.

View All 193 City Tour Reviews
Amber Room

What an unique experience in being physically there inside the room yourself - beyond any words that could encapsulate the feeling and awe from me!!

View All 114 Amber Room Reviews
Catherine Palace

An eye opening experience of a life time. All that decorations in gold at the palaces. Who could imagine a room could be plastered in red amber. Czar Nicholas knew how to live a life in luxury!

The congestion of incoming crowds of tourists and the coat check-in and check-out system could be very disrupting and challenging to anyone who were there for the first time. 'Chaos' was the word to describe the situation at that time.

View All 226 Catherine Palace Reviews
Constantine Palace

A place to be remembered for life.

View All 5 Constantine Palace Reviews
Hermitage Museum

Unbelievable in the number of collections being stored and kept at the museum!

View All 377 Hermitage Museum Reviews