3. Norwegian Star
This is my 2nd NCL cruise and I would say they did a good job generally but I might have had a better experience with a smaller ship on maybe an Oceania ship. NCL gets you there and sells you the excursions - at inflated prices- for you to get the feel of the country. Oceania gets you closer to a city port, avoiding tendering, gives you a substantive lecture pre-arrival so you have some feel for the country before you land, and have more than just panoramic blah tours available. You want to know about the cruise stop, don't ask the excursions team they know what's in the book and no more the basics are on a board in front of guess services and that's it. Even when passing the glaciers in the Beagle Channel it took about half -hour for Jeymi our cruise director to get on the spekaer and provide some detail behind what we were viewing. I got much more taking HAL in Alaska and taking Oceania exiting Venice and coming into Lisbon. The food was fine but basic and lukewarm. I went to Versailles 1x and refused to go again because the food and service were below par for me. Aqua service was much better but again the food meh. On a South American cruise you practically toast a piece of Chilean Sea Bass and put it on a plate as an entree???? Glad I had the Specialty Dining as a perk because I would have been pissed if I had to pay for most of those meals. Skip Moderno and do Cagney's, Le Bistro was also pretty good food but poor service. Cuchina ... any self respecting restaurant in Little Italy would shut this joker down! The Entertainment was overall quite good. The House performances were much better than expected and the gaucho/tango performance was very well done. The pricing for excursions was egregious and I would recommend that anyone doing the Falklands look at the Falklands visitors website and find a local purveyor and save your money to go to the same locations. They don't do tendering well. On the Falklands they were 2hrs late because it takes 20 minutes to get to shore and all excursions take 90+ minutes to get to their locations, Hey NCL- cough up some extra port fees and reassess the time frame needed for this stop. And I get that the Cape Horn portion may not have been feasible due to weather but why exactly did Puerto Madryn get cut?? O yes technical difficulty. The Star has had technical difficulty since it left Europe. Not cool NCL. All in all I enjoyed my vacay, but it had the possibility of being so much better.

Sailing to the end of the world

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Medusa_lives

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview

Medusa_lives’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Obstructed Oceanview
Cabin OK
Decent size room. Temperature setting could not be adjusted. Obstruction is that we had the back end of a tender boat anchored just outside our ocean view window. It was fine unless you have maintenance staff working on it.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins