Norwegian Encore Cruise Review

Norwegian Encore Cruise Review by mattanton1985

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

We booked a family trip to go on the NCL Encore over NYE in April, we all could not wait to go. This wasn't my first cruise, but it was my first time on a Norwegian ship. I heard great things about the cruise line and with the ship being new, what could go wrong? After about 2 days on the ship, I realized that we made a huge mistake.

To me, Cruises are all about service. From the moment We got on the ship to the moment we got off of it, I did not feel welcome. Staff was rude and would roll their eyes at you if you asked for anything. At one of the stops, my wife needed wheelchair assistance getting on/off the boat. When we got off the boat, I asked how we can get a wheelchair when we come back. The lady said that we can tell the port security guard and he can call the ship to send someone out. We did just that, but it took over an hour to send someone out. The port security guard said he talked to someone on the ship and they would send someone out once it stopped raining. We had to sit in the rain for an hour because an employee of the ship couldn't step outside for 5 minutes to help us. The security guard was even shocked at the poor service to the point where he offered to get the wheel chair for us. When someone from the ship finally came with the wheelchair, he told me to push my wife back to the boat because it started to rain again and he didn't want to get wet.

Another example of their poor service was at the brewhouse bar. The bar was supposed to close at midnight, I walked in a few minutes before closing to grab a few drinks. The bartender told me that they were closed and the customer in front of me was going to be his last customer. I explained that I didn't want to go all the way to the casino bar or the night club (Only bars open after midnight) to grab a drink. I just wanted two bottles of a beer they only have at the brewhouse. He told me No. I had to beg him until the manager heard and came over. I finally got my drink, but the attitude of the bartender made me not want to go back.

We also had poor service at the restaurants. Our food would come out 15 minutes before our side dishes, No one would take our drink orders, and most of the staff just looked miserable and you could tell they didn't want to be there.

The other issue I had with the ship was the one small pool. At sea days, it was a madhouse on the pool deck. They didn't have enough chairs in the sun and it was hard to even walk because it was so crowded.

I think NCL has a lot of work ahead of them to make this new ship a success, starting with the service. after this trip, I would not go on NCL again. I will stick with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

mattanton1985's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

Cabin was nice, but all the way to the front of the ship. I recommend getting a cabin closer to the elevator

San Juan

You get to the island after dark. Everything is closed. Waste of a stop

mattanton1985