• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals
  • Excursions

American Queen Review

Editor Rating

Great until we both got a stomach bug on the boat

Review for American Queen to North America River
mmyeats
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Nov 2019
Cabin:

We booked both a pre-cruise stay in Memphis and a post-cruise stay in New Orleans. They were great. We made use of the trolley passes in Memphis and visited several of the included attractions. The Sheraton hotel in Memphis was very nice. We appreciated that we could check in for the cruise at the hotel. Great idea!

The cruise started out great. Soon we started to hear that guests were sick with a stomach flu. We got on the boat on Monday afternoon. By Wednesday morning I was sick. The EMT on board was very kind and helpful. He mentioned that he was called in to work because there were several people sick on board. I spent the next day and a half in my room sleeping. Not how I wanted to spend my vacation! My husband also missed shore excursions so he could check on me.

I recovered and resumed activities on the boat and shore excursions. As we talked to guests we heard of many people who were sick. The staff increased cleaning and the food service staff were serving all guests, no more help yourself. However, no one was enforcing the use of hand sanitizer. I am used to ocean cruising where every time you enter or leave a dining area or theatre they squirted sanitizer in your hands.

Cabin was small but had everything we needed. The furniture reflected the theme of the boat.

Find an American Queen Cruise