3. Sapphire Princess
My husband and I chose this cruise because we wanted to be on a ship for the 2020 solar eclipse. We have cruised Princess many times before but this cruise will be our last on the Princess line. We have elite status so embarkation was a breeze - no problems there. The ship had just had all new carpet installed, new bedding in all the rooms, and new TVs. The new carpet did nothing to hide that the ship was in serious need of refurbishment. The furniture in the public areas was worn and uncomfortable. Our room steward was wonderful and we never had to ask her twice for anything. The bedding was new but the furniture was worn, the wood was nicked in quite a few places. The bathroom was worn - the shower pan had worn spots in it. The towels and washcloths were threadbare. There is almost no storage in the bathroom - 3 small glass shelves. The entertainment was excellent. The production singer and dancers were some of the best I've seen on my 30+cruises. Now for the bad - We thought the food was subpar. The menus were boring, tasteless, and most of the time over cooked or served cold. Horizon Grill - We eat breakfast and lunch here almost everyday. The breakfast buffet had cold eggs, potatoes. If you wanted an omelette you ordered it and then sat down. You had to corral a waiter to go pick it up for you but it you wanted to add a side (bacon, sausage etc) you needed to get it yourself . So either the eggs would get cold or the side would get cold. My pet peeve was the way toast, bagels, etc were done. These were all toasted in advance and placed in a container on a heated element. I prefer my toast hot so I'd ask for a fresh piece and the young person making the toast would always tell me that there was "hot" toast sitting. The jams, jellies, butter etc were just placed in a large pot with a spoon - disgusting! Lunch - again boring - there was always a carved meat and many "hot" dishes especially meats floating in brown gravy. There was a nice salad bar. There were no tuna, egg, or chicken salads. There were always a couple of pre-made sandwiches. I once asked why there were no potato chips, or nacho chips out a lunch. The buffet area is very small. I don't eat dessert at lunch but I do look - again very boring. But if you are gluten free, or need sugar free there was quite a selection. Evening dining - We had anytime dining and we ate in the Savoy restaurant every night. The staff was wonderful. The food not so much. Because the cruise was in Southeast Asia the menu was heavily Asian. We did back to back cruises and the menu was recycled for the second cruise with the addition of turkey on Christmas. There is no more prime rib, lamb chops in the dining rooms. The filet, the Beef Wellington, and beef tenderloin was quite good. The fish was usually over cooked. The chicken breasts were dried out and tough. Their French onion soup was a joke. It was a crock of brown broth with a couple of onions floating in it. I asked where was the nice melted cheese and was told that some people don't like it so we were given a piece of toasted bread with a little melted cheese on it to put into the soup!!! The won ton soup was excellent. Again, the desserts were for the most part boring. We ate in both the pay restaurants. The Italian restaurant Sabitini's was ok. I didn't care for the menu but I figured I could always order a steak. The steak was a nice size but again very tough. My husband and our friend had a veal dish and loved it. We ate at the Sterling Steakhouse for our anniversary on the second half our our cruise. The onion soup here is amazing and my lamb chops were excellent. My husband ordered the rib eye and said it was tough. The service was wonderful. I know it sounds like we're picky eaters but we're not - we just like our food hot and tasty. I did speak to quite a few others on the ship who were of the same opinion as us. They were very disappointed.

Very disappointed

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by sue322

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Asia

Now for the bad -

Again, the desserts were for the most part boring.

sue322’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

• Bangkok (Laem Chabang)
    Again, we took the ship's shuttle into Pattaya. We've been to Bangkok a couple of times and because it's so far from the port we decided just to go into the beach city of Pattaya. It was a very pretty place. We walked all over and decided to get massages again. My husband had an hour Thai massage and I had a foot/leg massage - $6/each!!!! Fabulous. We ended up eating lunch at the Bayview hotel by their pool. The pad thai and cashew chicken were excellent.
    View All 13,943 Bangkok (Laem Chabang) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bangkok (Laem Chabang) Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    We've been to Saigon before so we just did the city on our own. We went to the big market so I could find cinnamon. It was like the biggest indoor flea market you ever been to. I also bought my Tshirts - 2/$10. They did took US dollars here. We then walked all over the city. Crossing the streets anywhere in Vietnam is a dangerous sport. Just cross and hope for the best. WE had lunch at the Lemongrass Restaurant which was very good.
    View All 99 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    We did a city tour which ended up at the Petronas towers and the beautiful shopping mall. The mall was excellent with a huge food court. The city is beautiful.
    View All 40 City Tour Reviews
  • Koh Samui
    Not much here except the beach.
    View All 107 Koh Samui Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Koh Samui Cruise Port Review
  • Nha Trang
    We took the shuttle that Princess provided for $15/person. It dropped us off downtown and we walked all over. The beach was gorgeous. My husband wanted Pho so we actually at at the Intercontinental Hotel because I wanted just a sandwich. We did go into Highland Coffee (the Starbucks of Vietnam). My husband said his espresso was excellent and he bought me a slushy lime drink that was to die for.
    View All 88 Nha Trang Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nha Trang Cruise Port Review
  • Phuket
    We did an on your own tour - we were dropped off in the city and we walked around for a while - not much there. My husband had an hour massage and I had an hour facial. Both were wonderful and the total cost was under $30 US. We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant which was very good.
    View All 124 Phuket Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Phuket Cruise Port Review
  • Singapore
    We love this city. Our flight was delayed a day so we didn't get much of a chance to explore before getting on the ship. On the turn around day for our second half of the cruise we walked over to the Gardens by the Bay and went to the Cloud Forest and Flower Dome. It was wonderful, because it was just before Christmas the decorations were fabulous.
    View All 594 Singapore Cruise Port Reviews