3. Star Princess
My wife and I wanted to celebrate her birthday, our anniversary, Christmas and New Years on board a cruise to Hawaii, and the itenirary of the Star Princess matched ours. Before I start the review let me inform you that we have cruised over a dozen times and have alway had good experiences, next let me state that in my opinion the Star Princess should not leave port until many issues with the ship are resolved for the safety of the passengers and the crew. The Negative: On boarding and going to our stateroom we noticed a mildew smell on the hallway and once in the stateroom a urine smell in the bathroom. We accepted the stateroom in hopes that the next cleaning would clear up the smells. After housekeeping came the next day the urine smell was not noticeable but the mildew smell in the corridor was still there. On the third day we had water dripping from the ceiling by the door to our stateroom, and you got wet going in and out. They put some buckets to catch the water and a fan to dry the carpet and the wet bulkheads, this blew the mildew smell into our stateroom. We at this point were concerned about our health and asked to be moved to another stateroom. At first they indicated there was no other stateroom available but they would get back to us. Approximately 16 hours later they contacted us and showed us another stateroom where the mildew smell was not as strong and we took it, however the entry light would come on or off whenever the door was closed and the temperature controller had a mind of its own so the stateroom would go from hot to cold back to hot at will, the furniture was old and damaged. Upon exploring the ship further we discovered multiple areas in many decks and locations where there was water leakage from the overhead and you could see wet bulkheads, buckets, fans, yellow tape and the smell of mildew. Around that time the Captain broadcast that one of the pools would be closed because they had discovered a crack in it, not sure if that was the same water source we had encountered since we were on the 8th deck and the pool is on the 14th deck. Overall you could see the ship was tired: frayed carpets and couches, non-functioning elevators, alarms going off due to miss-functions and looking from shore at the large yellow stains on outside of the ship, it looked abandoned. Our experience on other cruises is there are always a few crew members that are not happy for whatever reason, but the percentage on this cruise was at least three times the average. I did developed an upper respiratory infection that I have been battling for 4 days, not sure yet if it was from the mildew or a different source. The Positive: There were several crew members that made the trip pleasurable, including the Hawaiian Ambassadors that provided Hawaiian music and lessons, the man in pastry area of the International Cafe, and the crew at the Skywalker Lounge. The entrainment was in par with other cruises, as was the food at the dinning rooms. We would say that the Hawaiian Pub and The Crown, Crabshack, and Sabatinies meals were very good. We missed one port of call (Kaui) due to weather, but the other ports, Honolulu, Maui and Hilo were great. The Christmas and New Years Eve celebrations were fun and well done. Bottom line; I would not recommend a cruise on the Princess Star and would suggest you investigate the condition of any other Princess ship before you book.

2019 Hawaii Christmas Holiday

Star Princess Cruise Review by soyMario

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview

The Christmas and New Years Eve celebrations were fun and well done.

soyMario’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Oceanview
Cabin OF
Initial Cabin E629 Musty smell, urine smell, tired furniture, water dripping from the ceiling by the entry door.

Moved to cabin E218 Tired furniture, temperature controller not functioning properly, entry light switch not functioning properly, dirty bed throw pillows.
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins