Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review

Mediocre

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Kblans

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

My family chose to cruise for Christmas. I’ll start with the pros:

Staff on this ship were amazing! Our stateroom steward, Waiyn was incredibly helpful and kind. Our dinner staff was wonderful and extremely accommodating for my one year old. As old as the ship is, I will give the staff credit for keeping it absolutely spotless. Everywhere you go on the ship, someone is cleaning something I wouldn’t even think to clean. Kudos to them! Boarding and disembarking the ship was simple and quick.

Negatives: our cruise sailed from Mobile, to Progreso (Yucatán) and Cozumel. Our day in Progreso was not what I anticipated in the worst way. We waited in one line after another for transportation to a filthy beach with literal concrete walls topped with barbed wire and people trying to sell you something if you so much as look in their direction. We knew immediately we weren’t staying there, so found someone who sold us a day at an “all inclusive” so we took a bus there. The staff for this excursion was very kind and wanted to make sure we enjoyed ourselves and we did, the all inclusive was fine. I honestly can’t imagine why Carnival has chosen Progreso as a port destination. I would NEVER recommend it. Our day in Cozumel was amazing, however! So much fun and we reserved a spot on Cabana Beach. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND Cabana Beach.

Ship: Old and needs to be retired immediately. There are two smoking sections on the ship (one is inside next to the casino) and thus, the entire ship reeks of smoke. It’s disgusting. Only 3/4 elevators were working on my section of the ship. 1/2 glass elevators in the atrium worked. And 2/4 worked in the back of the ship. Everyone pretty much took the stairs instead of waiting for an elevator. Pretty difficult when you’re carting a stroller everywhere, so that was inconvenient for us. 2/4 coffee machines were out of commission and the ice cream machines worked most of the time.

Food: pretty good. Guy’s burger joint was by far the best spot to eat on the ship. Drinks were great

I was very disappointed my one year old wasn’t even allowed to play in the splash pad in a swim diaper. I totally understand not letting diapered babies in the hot tubs or pool, but come on. Running around on the splash pad was literally all she wanted to do and she had a blast until they told me I had to take her out. Huge bummer. They need to reassess that rule. I wouldn’t sail again with a toddler because there is nothing for them to do.

Kblans's Full Rating Summary

Pretty normal cabin.

Mobile

Spent the night before we embarked and there was a lot to check out! Good food and nice parks to walk around.

Progreso

Never ever go to Progreso. I would have rather stayed on the ship for the day. Dirty and people are constantly trying to sell you something.

Chankanaab National Park Tour

Splurge for access to your own private cabana on cabana beach. AMAZING drinks and beautiful views.

View All 256 Chankanaab National Park Tour Reviews