3. Norwegian Epic
I chose this cruise for its itinerary of Barbados, St. Kitts, Tortola, St. Lucia and St. Thomas to share with my 19 year old son and his 20 year old girlfriend- the itinerary was awesome. That being said, on board the ship it was completely dysfunctional. The day of embarkation, the process was very smooth getting on the ship where it took us about 30 minutes to board where our room was ready when boarded about 4:00p.m. luggage arrived around 9:00p.m. That being said, we were delayed for almost 6 hours in Puerto Rico's port where no one on staff knew the reason why and there was no announcements where some were concerned that it could be about the recent earth quakes in PR and the Tsunami warnings; however, Carnival and RCL left well before us heading in the same area. The cabin and balcony were OK, not so clean where the phone did not work. I selected a drink package and only in some restaurants/bars could one get a glass of wine under the package or have to pay the difference for a Premium drink which was very frustrating. In Cagney's, they wanted to charge me $10 more for a glass of wine that should have been available in the restaurant, the waiter went to a bar to grab me a glass of wine under my plan. Excursions on board the ship were completely different than what was offered on-line where on board was much nicer than on-line but we didn't want to stand in the lines that were over 1 hour long so we did our own excursions in all the ports including my favorite Virgin Gorda- "The baths". Ironically enough, the 3 of us paid $114 for a round trip ferry ride that the cruise was offering for $360 for 3 people just for transportation and used the same ferry. St. Lucia was beautiful especially at Pigeon Beach that was my second favorite island to visit. Regarding the Internet, there was no documentation on how to use the internet so we had to go meet with the internet team to get things set up where most of the passengers were very frustrated in that area and just to get access to Wifi where I am in IT. The entertainment on board during the night was good with live bands- lots of options. However, the DJ's in the club's and outside were horrible playing downloads from you tube where my 19 year old son is a professional DJ and was super frustrated with the poor quality of music. Additionally, the music during the day either at sea or when leaving the port clearly catered to a Latin Audience with no American music (or European)- many non- latinos were very disappointed by the 3rd day. I did think the activities in the lobby were pretty fun, especially when they played "Deal or NO Deal." For disembarkation, no documentation nor video was provided where they woke us up at 7:00am to leave the ship where we sat in the lobby of the boat for 3 hours. I was pleasantly surprised that the buffets were a very good variety and nicely made especially for breakfast and lunch- the deserts on the cruise in non specialty areas were not so good. I have cruised over 10 times, but never with NCL, can’t imagine I would use them again.

This cruise was great and stunk

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by barnold1024