3. Celebrity Summit
It was our first cruise on Celebrity but our 12th cruise overall. The main reason why we chose Celebrity was because we wanted to experience a cruise line marketing itself as “one notch above” but still being affordable. Also, we have cruised twice in the past on the holidays and it has been very fun. With these considerations, the experience was very good but not enough to warrant five stars based on expectations. The ship itself is great. O complains there. Cabins are within the norm. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary on the positive or negative side. Food was perhaps a couple of steps above what we have experienced in other cruises. Kudos for the specialty restaurants. Qusine is a must (although expensive) and Sushi on 5 was the best food by far. The activities are quite on line with other cruise lines and could not really find any major pros or cons to mention. The excursions were also in line with the industry. There are three specific points that support the 4 star ranking I am giving: First, the service personnel (with a few exceptions) doesn’t give you that warm feeling that you see in other cruise lines. People in the buffet serving the food, bartenders, etc., are “just there”. They are doing their jobs but it is far from the genuine interest in you that I have seen in other cruise lines. That does nos translate into bad service (although in a couple of situations it did) but it is not what Celebrity markets. The second was the highly annoying up selling of the beverage packages (especially in the first two days) reaching the level of harassment. After the first two or three times I was approached in common areas of the vessel in the first hour or so on board, I started counting. At the end of the second day, an astonishing 27 people (!) had approached me to sell me the beverage package. I am not sure in what universe that is even remotely acceptable. That was my first impression. Lastly, we had an issue with one of the excursions (pre-cruise) and the phone support was so useless we decided to just cancel. We were willing to work it out but it was completely impossible to get someone rational on the phone. Overall, we will definitely cruise with Celebrity again, but based on our expectations, it wasn’t a 5-star experience.

It is all about expectations

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by RanyDany

The excursions were also in line with the industry.

There are three specific points that support the 4 star ranking I am giving: