Disney Magic Cruise Review

Disney Magic Cruise Review by crankyblade

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom

This was my 2nd Disney cruise and my 3rd time cruising. The last Disney cruise was to Alaska on the Wonder, and it was the best vacation ever! So I made a prepayment and couldn't wait to go on another Disney cruise again. Well, this latest cruise would only rate a 6 out of 10. Avoid rooms that have an adjoining interior door with the neighboring room, such as 1050 and 1052. My neighbors had an absolutely annoying kid who looked about 3 years old. Every single day and night, that cried and yelled, and coughed, usually around 7am, once in the afternoon as I tried to nap, and once at 11:30pm. The husband would yell at the kid, and even talking, they had to be loud. I complained to guest services but the lady said all the rooms were booked, so we could not be moved to another room. She told me I could dial 0 if they got too loud and mgt could talk to the family. We got 2 bags of popcorn and rice krispie treats as an apology for this lousy family being next door. I wouldn't say the cruise was ruined but this greatly diminished my enjoyment as every day I was cranky and sleep deprived. The other main negative was the extreme rockiness of the ship. The Alaskan cruise was very serene so I expected a similar seasick-free experience. Nope. Every night the ship swayed so much that you could see drinks shaking on the dinner tables and holiday wreaths swinging on the walls. It felt awful and gave me a headache one night.

Weather was not warm enough. It rained on the day we stopped in the Bahamas and the water at castaway cay was very cold. It started raining that early afternoon and all the day's excursions were canceled due to wind. It only got hot enough for us to venture into a pool on the afternoon the day before leaving. However, soon after that, a kid defecated in the pool so everyone had to get out and it was unusable the rest of the day.

The toilet in our room smelled mildly of old urine. I wiped down and tried washing all around the surfaces but could never get rid of the smell, but I didn't have the heart to tell the Filipino man who was our room attendant. Hair dryer was old and grimy from so many hands touching it-- gross. Pillows were lumpy and there was old grime in the corners of the bathroom; if I go again, I will only go on newer ships. Carpet in main areas, bench near theater were worn out. Cabanas seating was jam packed. Many food portions at dinner were so small it was laughable. Salmon one night tasted like burnt plastic, and the lemon pie seemed overbaked and tasted bad. My child had a hamburger that was dry and reminded me of cheap hamburgers from my public school cafeteria. All the cakes were dry and spongey. Cutlery is all big and heavy, not right for little kids to deal with. The coffee is watery, cheap drek in worn plastic mugs, unless you shell out more money for the cafe. I felt nickeled and dimed (or dollared?!) when we were charged for popcorn and a tiny cup of juice near the theaters, and of course you feel obligated to tip the poor 3rd world staff on top of it all. The photo package was something like $250 for the smallest package-- pass! I didn't get suckered into spa services but those prices are crazy too.

Ok, good aspects: my kid loved the kid's club and kept wanting to go. Some if the food was excellent, like the soups and salads at dinner. Mashed potatoes, pizza, fries, soft serve ice cream are tasty. Service was mostly excellent although the servers kept taking our cutlery away as they cleared dishes. We wound up eating with soup spoons or even a knife. The shows were the best. Tangled and the John Cassidy show were surprisingly much better than I anticipated. Even my kid sat through them. Castaway Cay was beautiful and the lunch buffet was delicious. I wish we had 2 days there instead of the overly touristy/grimy Bahamas stop. Views from the ship were awesome. The tour of the ship for adults was interesting. Embarking and disembarking were pretty smooth. The cruise helps you check in your luggage and gives you boarding passes the night before, which was great so we didn't have to drag luggage around the next day. The Disney shuttle to the airport was nice and quick, with a video ad to make the time fly by.

One other thing to keep in mind is that cruising during Xmas, a lot more people are sick. In addition to the constantly crying and coughing kid next door, everywhere we went on the ship, people were coughing. It's pretty off putting to be in a crowded theater as someone's hacking near you. So in the future, I will avoid cruising during cold and flu season. The last day, my obnoxious neighbors had their alarm clock going off at 5:40am for at least 10 minutes. I felt like throttling them. After a whole day at the airport, we returned tired, heavier, and still feeling like the rooms are swaying. It was an ok experience this time that I will not repeat. I don't recommend this particular time/itinerary/ship.

crankyblade's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom

Awful due to the shared interior door and terrible noisy neighbors. Old urine smell around toilet that I couldn't get rid of.

Glass Bottom Boat

Boat was sort of grimy. Could barely understand narration due to bad microphone and accent of the tour leader. Glass bottom meant some glass windows encased in high wooden frames-- difficult for younger children to see. Didn't see any amazing fish, just some grey little fish.

View All 72 Glass Bottom Boat Reviews
Castaway Cay

All the excursions were canceled due to expected high winds. It rained part of the day. Otherwise pretty beach, great food, fun water spray area for kids and bikes available. Be sure to bring your own shovels and pails, or else get ripped off as usual for more expenses with Disney!

Miami

Port was close to Miami airport nd EB Hotel had a cruise special that included a shuttle to the port.

I forgot to add that I was disappointed to see styrofoam and disposable cups being used on the cruise at the self serve drink area. Terrible for the environment and ocean creatures & not necessary.

crankyblade