3. Crown Princess
This was our 4th family Christmas cruise (all on different lines) and it was very nice. We had 7 of us ranging in age from 19 to 79 and we all enjoyed ourselves in 3 cabins, although 5 of the 7 of us are still fighting respiratory illness and we've been home for a week. We hired 2 Uber vehicles to get from FLL airport to the seaport and the price was $17 for one and $26 for the second with the cars being of equal quality/size. No idea why such a difference but had a similar experience with taxis for the return trip to the airport (in fact the larger car on the return was the cheaper one?). Embarkation was a beautiful thing. One of the easiest we've experienced. Debarkation was awful!!! Seems too many people can't follow directions and get in the line before their combination color/number was called. There were only 4 customs agents on duty so that contributed to the very long line but he did not even ask us any questions, so I'm not sure why the process was so lengthy. Luggage delivery and collection was very efficient for us, although my in laws had to wait til evening to receive their luggage on embarkation. The ship is a bit on the older side but was good for the most part. As usual, had problems finding loungers around the pool but really appreciated not having to check out the pool towels (like on RC, Carnival, and Norwegian). The screen for the movies was very nice but sometimes a little hard to hear. Popcorn was available for No Charge! (Yeah as RC charges $2.50) but 2 of the 3 times it wasn't very good. Third time it was good. They showed a large variety of movies/scenic pics/football game on Sunday/etc. No Star Wars but some relatively recent movies. (Toy Story 4) Service was excellent from the cabin steward to bar staff to the dining room. We don't pay any premiums for specialty dinners so can't comment on those. Food was usually very good but was missing fresh berries and fruit pies. The ham for Christmas dinner was delicious. The pancakes in the buffet were cold but were quite good in the dining room. We prefer to eat in the dining room whenever possible so we don't have to search for a seat, get your own food and drinks, ask for silverware, etc. Salad dressing offerings in the dining room were better than the buffet as well. Could not get chocolate milk or lemonade in the dining room (but ice tea was available) and we found that odd. We had the early dining at 5 and we were usually done by about 6:45 in time to get to the shows that started at 7:15. However, occasionally they changed show times and/or had more than 1 in the evening and that created some need to "run" from one to the other to get seats (esp. if we wanted 7 together). There were several shows in the Explorers Lounge (lots of game shows and the ones we attended were usually very funny/enjoyable) but the comedian's show should have been in the theater as there were not enough seats. The entertainment staff was excellent and very involved. The cruise director, John (Mr. Energy), Bree, Mark from Canada and Mark from the UK, Bryan and Natty were all very friendly and easy to talk to. And funny. However, the male singers were OMG AWFUL! The dancing was great and the couple production shows were pretty good. The opera on 2 1/2 nights was way too much! She had a beautiful voice but we're not opera fans. Also, 6 or 7 of the songs were not in English (I know it's opera) but no thanks. Too polite to leave but we should have as lots of others did. I like more of the large production shows and they really only did 2 plus a Christmas show on this 10 night cruise. Too much solo singing, esp. since both the male soloists were so bad. We had a balcony on deck 10 and I made a point to use it but could have gone without. Everything out there was covered in a salty mist so you needed to wipe it before you touched anything. Also, not real private as we could balconies below and people above us could see us. What I missed was having a chair or small sofa inside the cabin as the only place to sit was on the desk chair or the bed. Speaking of the bed - very soft with large indentations from previous bodies and a huge bump in the middle where the twin beds were connected. Very uncomfortable but we both slept OK most nights since we were so tired. The bedding was very nice. The third person in our kids' cabin was in a pull down bed that he said was extremely uncomfortable and the air conditioner was directly above him. Not ideal. They also had issues with their toilet that were never resolved. A technician came in right away at my request into my room to reset the thermostat as I like it cold in the room. That was appreciated. Ports of call were pretty good. Princess Cays had plenty of seating and some in the shade. They provided a BBQ for us for no charge but we could not get a soda on the island using the prepaid soda card from the ship. Mocktails, but no soda as they wanted to sell the stuff in cans. We booked all our own excursions so I can't comment on any from the ship. I enjoyed the line dancing classes and the 2 Zumba classes I attended but the ball room class was a joke! Way too many people for the space and the instructors had no patience. Wish they would have had more offerings for this and more fitness classes too. This was our first Princess trip and each line has its pros and cons. Other than entertainment this beats the Norwegian and RC ships we've been on.

Nice family Christmas cruise