3. Norwegian Gem
We traveled on this Ship about 3 years ago, had free specialty dining and 3rd passenger free, which worked very well, and the entertainment was so good, that we wonted to go back. This time the cruise was so different. Everything went wrong from day 1. NCL is to be blamed for causing a huge traffic in Manhattan by scheduling 2 cruise ship sailing on the same day. It took us 3 hours to drive from Battery Tunnel to cruise Port, and then, 3 more hours waiting in line to get on the ship. When we got onboard we were hungry and tired, the dining venues were already closed, and I was time for a drill. Than, exhausted, we went to room, changed, and went to buffet for a dinner. The Garden Cafe was so crowded, that after walking for 5 min and looking for a table, I had to leave my food there and go to Magenta to be able to get seated. I have to say, that buffet crowds did not improve until the end of the cruise. We had to wait in lines for everything, to get food, drinks tables. Also, the quality of food on this cruise was much worse than what we are used to on cruises. Shrimp cocktail, escargot, lobster tails, fried calamari were not on a menu to the end of the cruise. The dining menu had poor choices, however, the menu improved by the end of the cruise. The waiters in dining rooms seamed to be overworked, and didn't have time for any communications with guests. The big dining room had a piano, however, during the entire time of the cruise, I didn't hear it play a single time. Entertainment was good, the two Ukrainian brothers acrobats we liked the best. The Fillipino lady Cruse director was not funny at all. The entire cruise she spoke with partially lost voice, which made listening to her unpleasant. All she did, she announced the events, and repeatedly said that they wanted to deliver us a vacation of a lifetime, which did make sense to us, since it was clear for my family, it was our worst vacation so far. Other negatives: no ice cream on the private island, no cartoon channel on TV, no free sauna, not much to do on the cold rainy day. Never NCL again.

What a disappointment!

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Elbrushalya

• Sail Date: December 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

Entertainment was good, the two Ukrainian brothers acrobats we liked the best.

Elbrushalya’s Full Rating Summary